electric lift pump

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the only difference between the holley red and blue is the spring that regulates the presure. You may be able to convert your blue to a red if you get the right spring. I've taken one of my Holley Red's apart to clean it, and to be honest, it's the simplest kind of rotary vane pump you can have. I don't see how it is designed for just street or strip. It's a motor. Just like every other motor. And it's going to have the same problems as any other motor. Quality of the parts is probably the biggest differentiating factor between a Holley or some other off brand. Bearings in the motor maybe. Maybe the commutator brushes. :dunno I'd be willing to be that neither Carrrier nor Holley make their own motor. Nether outfit specializes in armature winding equipment, which in a factory is what your going to need to make motors. I seriously doubt that Holley says to a motor manufacturer, 'you know, all we need is a motor that will spin for a few hundred hours, cause after all we only want to sell this pump to weekend warriors', while Carrier says "we want a motor that will spin forever, and oh yea it needs to cost the same as what the other guys are paying" cookoo That doesn't make sense. The vanes are steel tabs that just fly around on an off-center shaft, just like any other vane displacement pump is going to have, so there is no rocket science to the technology. You can get a Holley rebuild kit for $25 so the actual pumping parts are easily replaced. The Carrier has a nice glass bowl, which yes... because it's glass you damn well better pay attention to where your mounting it. Somebody probably said, "well ya know, if it has a glass bowl, we better make sure it's in the engine compartment and can lift 10' so increase the volume of the pump." YOu can believe all the marketing hype you want, but there is no real great differentiating factor in these pumps which are all esentially about the same price, designed to do the same exact thing, but with various compromises made to facilitate a typical mounting scenario.