egt? and probe placement (not the ? you think)

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
I was wondering what you all thought if the EGT's would be the same if your probe only sees gasses from 3 cylinders instead of all 4? It seemed easiest to put the probe in the top of the manifold but its between the 3rd and 4th cylinders and normal driving temps are seem to be about average but even with the edge set to extreme towing 9000lbs It takes awhile to get to 1150 and I've never gotten it over 1200 no matter how hard I'm on it so I was just wondering if I'm missing some heat where my probe is placed or should the temps out of even one cylinder be the same as all 4 at the end of the manifold or what I'm leaning too is it always felt week before the edge now its much better but still not 100%

rubberfish

Reaction score
The placement of your probe shouldn't have
anything to do with your egt readings.
On the Cummins we're only reading off
the back three holes. Wow, I hope I don't
have to double the reading I have now to get
an accurate all cylinder score. Let's see,
1850 for the back three, and 1850 for
the front 3 = Oh My!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao

But man your egt's are kinda low for an edge.
and normal driving temps are seem to be about average
What's normal egt's driving empty at 50 mph??
What kind of boost you have?

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
Thanks rubber thats what I was thinking just sorta trying to double check myself but man who drives 50? LOL but at 60 I beleive it runs about 700-750 degs empty (8800lbs) and about 5lbs of boost. Max boost is 27 in 4th gear tickling the rev limiter before the edge it was really slow downshifting to 4th and loosing speed towing up modest hills with 10-12k pounds while my brothers 97 maintained 55 in 5th gear with similiar loads

rubberfish

Reaction score
Boost and egt's at 60 are good.
But with the box, the pyro should get
scary hot, real quick. Not 1200.
That almost sounds stock. Wierd. :dunno

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still got stock injectors?

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
I know stock though I couldn't really get it over 1100 it blows smoke so its getting fuel but it just seems flat on the top end

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
the exhaust goes straight from the hypermax DP to 4" and its exits under my tool box so theres probably only 6'-7' of pipe and with my knock off tymar it should breathe pretty good but I still thought I would have to watch the temps. Also every one always says to get the boost up to help with high EGTs (which I don't agree with but anywho)but if I'm pulling a hill and don't have the power to gain speed I can hold it to the floor at 60 with about 10 lbs of boost and the temp will sit at 1000 degrees the temp won't rise till I start gaining speed and the boost starts rising then the temps will start to rise but like I said never had it over 1200 no matter the load or hill

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You'll have a helluva time getting the EGT's high with an open intake, 4" exhaust and stock injectors, even with the edge.

Them stockers are lucky if they can dump 90cc's.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
Ive put most of the probes under the truck, in the curve by the up pipe.
but on a few latter ones I was able to install in the top of the manifold between the 2 last cylinders, egts will still register the same.
Nick

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
yeah Nick it just looked easier on top so thats where I put it

95 the reason I'm asking is I have a buddy with a 96 with the same air intake and downpipe but he has straight piped stock exhaust but he doesn't even have a chip or program and he can hit 1100-1200 empty just getting on the freeway and it takes some hill with a load for me to get that high

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
95 the reason I'm asking is I have a buddy with a 96 with the same air intake and downpipe but he has straight piped stock exhaust but he doesn't even have a chip or program and he can hit 1100-1200 empty just getting on the freeway and it takes some hill with a load for me to get that high

Yeah, different strokes for different folks I guess Aric. Mine was like yours, I couldnt get it hot after I opened up the intake and exhaust but yet if you go over to the other :rolleyes: place there are guys with stock injectors and a 10K mod just rolling black smoke and 1300 egts.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online