E4OD Upgrades

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
What type of upgrades are available for the E4od? Someone please tell me everything I need to know about this transmission. I don't want to end up tearing it up by not know the does and don't. I know I will need to buy an aftermarket cooler for it. Anyone recommend one? Also what fluids should I use synthetic or not? Should I just go ahead and replace the TBS, and what other computer controlled device should be upgraded or replaced? Also are there any other modifications that can be done to insure it will hold up good?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
There are some chip type setups you can run, bauman controller, banks has a transcommand that'll help. Those are the two I know.

Shift kit, better torque converter, better internal parts. I believe 4R100 parts are interchangable and they should have a decent aftermarket support (came in 99-03 7.3 powerstrokes).

bikepilot

Turbo IDI
Reaction score
I put a banks transcomander on mine, made a huge difference in how it felt. I suspect it'll be more durable as its not so mushy feeling so must be cooler/easier on the clutches.

I run an isspro trans temp gauge, have never seen it get hot, but a good thing to have so you can keep an eye on stuff.

I fitted a Jasper trans cooler kit. The biggest issue with cooling the E4OD is that the fittings on the trans itself and lines are very small diameter and don't flow much fluid so you won't get ideal flow/cooling no matter how good the cooler is. The jasper kit has new fittings and lines and an oversized cooler. Seems to work great. I know its a mandatory retrofit to maintain the warranty on any of their rebuild e4ods if that's of any probative value.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would caution against using the trans command setup on a bone stock factory transmission. All it does is raise the line pressure and that has been known to place enough stress on some underdesigned parts in the transmission to cause an early failure. We had some one on ford trucks.com that lost a torque converter lockup piston because of it. The TC lockup piston is a very weak part from some earlier factory built E4OD, and a decen't quality aftermarket converter will address this problem.

The trans command is also not a stand alone controller and must work with the factory setup. The Baumann setup is a stand alone but you might still have to wire it into your OEM controller so the cluster instruments still work properly. Karl at Baummanator controls knows his stuff and should be able to help you do this if you decide to go that route. It would work out to almost $600, but you are able to tune much more of the system to your liking instead of just how hard or soft the transmission shifts for you.

There is also a write up in the tech articles on some of the upgrades I did to my transmission.

dieselgiant

Dieselgiant
Reaction score
I put a B&M shift improver kit in mine, used the towing springs, it shifts nice keeps the clutches from slipping to much, the kit comes with a thing that you splice into some wires for the torque converter, don't know what it does but it helped. Very good instructions, and inexpensive.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
The factory tranny brain is not the greatest, but before you ditch it. look at the shift kit option first.

Trans Go tugger kit is a great improvement for a stock, slightly modified, or heavily modified tranny. This kit will correct most of the crappy shifting issues.

As for the cooler, check out the Tru Cool cooler. You can find it at this site sponsor. www.dieselsite.com :thumbsup:

George D.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The thing to worry about with a shift kit is yes soft shifts wear clutches but the lugs in the forward clutch back on the E4ODs are weak if it shifts too hard it can break the forward clutches thats what happend to mine and I was running a real mild shift kit but it did last a pretty long time for an E4OD and there was 0 friction material in the fluid and was always clean. If you already have high millage on the trans a shift kit could hurt more than it will help. As for fluid don't run sythetic as it already has the normal stuff and the two don't mix and you won't get all the old stuff out. I would definatly recomed reading David article, I haven't read it but from talking to him on FTE I know he knows his stuff when it comes to upgrading an E4OD. I would recomend installing the sonnax line presure modulator as the originals are prone to leaking.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Synthetic and semi synthetic fluids can be mixed with the plain stuff. As long as it has the same ratings. Mercon or Mercon V.

The big deal is the tranny worth it.. A tranny on its last leg. No way would I waist the money on synthetic. A healthy tranny or newly rebuilt. Synthetic or semi synthetic is the way to go. Specially if you use the vehicle as a tow pig or heavy use. :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online