E4OD problems

Dave 001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi, guys. My '93 E350 has an E4OD. I have no idea how many miles are on the transmission but there is a Jasper tag on the side of it, so it's been rebuilt at some point (it could of been 20,000 mile ago or 220,000 miles ago, no way to know for sure). The shift firmness is good...firm but not neck snapping. But it shifts late in all gears. The transmission will also force a down-shift on moderate accelerattion when it is not necessary (forcing the engine to rev much higher than necessary, especially for a Diesel). The fluid looks good. The FIPL is 1.19v at idle and 3.94v at full throttle. While watching the volt meter from idle to full throttle and back, I didn't see any "dead" spots, just a smooth increase or decrease. Any ideas how to fix it?

How can I check the rpm sensor?

What else can I check?

Thanks,
Dave

bab029

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the o/d light flashing? A few weeks ago mine kept wanting to go into limp mode, so I adjusted the fipl, cleaned and greased the connector on the side of the tranny and, interestingly, changed the rear end fluid. Mine was very gray and was coating the VSS sensor in the rear end, presumably causing a faulty reading. I cleaned the sensor and put a fresh charge of gear oil in there and no problems since then.

Dave 001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bab029: I don't think the O/D light even works. (see the post "dead steering wheel") I inspected/cleaned/greased the IPLS, the tach sensor, and a few others. I need to do the same to the rest of the transmission connectors and go from there. Very good tip about the VSS....thanks, I'll check that out also.

trackspeeder: I considered that but setting the IPLS voltage lower (to lower the shift speed) will also lower the shift firmness (which I don't want to do, the shift firmness feels right on the money). If I'm wrong than please tell me so.....this is my first E4OD.

Dave

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi, guys. My '93 E350 has an E4OD. I have no idea how many miles are on the transmission but there is a Jasper tag on the side of it, so it's been rebuilt at some point (it could of been 20,000 mile ago or 220,000 miles ago, no way to know for sure). The shift firmness is good...firm but not neck snapping. But it shifts late in all gears. The transmission will also force a down-shift on moderate accelerattion when it is not necessary (forcing the engine to rev much higher than necessary, especially for a Diesel). The fluid looks good. The FIPL is 1.19v at idle and 3.94v at full throttle. While watching the volt meter from idle to full throttle and back, I didn't see any "dead" spots, just a smooth increase or decrease. Any ideas how to fix it?

How can I check the rpm sensor?

What else can I check?

Thanks,
Dave

Jasper is NOT one of the best rebuilders. Could be an earlier model tranny. You would have to check the original tag.

Firm shift is good. On a moderate speed up it should shift 1st to 2nd @ 12-15 MPH --- 2nd to 3rd @ 24-27 lockup MPH--- 3rd to OD @ 36 to 40 MPH.

Tach sensor--- 650 RPM @ idle---W/4:10 gears---@ 60 MPH in OD ~1800 RPM, downshift to 3rd, 2300 -2350 RPM.

Reset the FIPL to 1.0 volt at idle.

QUOTE: The transmission will also force a down-shift on moderate accelerattion when it is not necessary (forcing the engine to rev much higher than necessary, especially for a Diesel).QUOTE
RPM won't run any higher than 3200 or may shift up to OD or less depending on the VSS.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
bab029: I don't think the O/D light even works. (see the post "dead steering wheel") I inspected/cleaned/greased the IPLS, the tach sensor, and a few others. I need to do the same to the rest of the transmission connectors and go from there. Very good tip about the VSS....thanks, I'll check that out also.

trackspeeder: I considered that but setting the IPLS voltage lower (to lower the shift speed) will also lower the shift firmness (which I don't want to do, the shift firmness feels right on the money). If I'm wrong than please tell me so.....this is my first E4OD.

Dave

If you feel the shift firmness is good. leave it. If you lower the voltage the shifts will get softer. Increase the voltage they will get harder and quicker.

Dave 001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jasper is NOT one of the best rebuilders. Could be an earlier model tranny. You would have to check the original tag.

Firm shift is good. On a moderate speed up it should shift 1st to 2nd @ 12-15 MPH --- 2nd to 3rd @ 24-27 lockup MPH--- 3rd to OD @ 36 to 40 MPH.

Tach sensor--- 650 RPM @ idle---W/4:10 gears---@ 60 MPH in OD ~1800 RPM, downshift to 3rd, 2300 -2350 RPM.

Reset the FIPL to 1.0 volt at idle.

QUOTE: The transmission will also force a down-shift on moderate accelerattion when it is not necessary (forcing the engine to rev much higher than necessary, especially for a Diesel).QUOTE
RPM won't run any higher than 3200 or may shift up to OD or less depending on the VSS.

Yeah....I know Jasper is not the best around but that's what the truck came with.

1st to 2nd is around 25 MPH --- 2nd to 3rd is around 35 MPH. Truck has 3.54's.

I know the engine governor won't let it go above 3200 - 3400 RPM but with no load, there is no reason to run the engine anywhere near that RPM.

I spent a little time working on the truck today. The VSS was clean. The engine RPM sensor was bad. Luckily I had a good, used sensor.......but my luck quickly ran out....installing the good RPM sensor made no difference. Back to the drawing board.......

Thanks for the replies so far.

Dave