E4OD problems

7river

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only thing I can think of is the converter is not fully seated. The flexplate should turn easily with a screwdriver.

Best thing to do is pull the tranny again. The converter should be about 3/4" below the bell housing face.

I felt the converter seat twice as I rotated it. Any special way to seat the converter? Is there any special alignment for the splines of the input shafts? I will check the 3/4" reference.
Thanks Trackspeeder

7river

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The converter is close to an inch deeper than the face of the bell housing. The converter bolts are about 1/4" proud of the bell housing face.

If I unbolt the converter, should I be able to slide it in and out any? If yes and I can't, that should tell me it's not seated.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
The converter is close to an inch deeper than the face of the bell housing. The converter bolts are about 1/4" proud of the bell housing face.

If I unbolt the converter, should I be able to slide it in and out any? If yes and I can't, that should tell me it's not seated.

Yes, it should move in and out. If it dose not move the converter is bound up.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
I am a little late but mine was also puking out my vent tube (although mine is pointed down). I got the cooler, gauge, and over sized trans lines, and have had zero issues. We're rebuilding an "extra" E40D right now (slooooooooow going haha) as three of my 4 trucks have them. We got a book and a DVD. Fun

Best thing to do is take your time. The E4OD is no harder to rebuild then a C6. Just alot heavier.:D
Make sure you do all the updates. Then drive it like you stole it.LOL

7river

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well I pulled it. converter is damaged. hub is distorted. looks like it was 180 deg off and the flats the seat into the pump were formed on the opposite faces. Guess I have to pull the pump? I'm approaching major unknown territory. However we don't have money for a rebuild and have to get the bus back on the road asap. Anyone know a good link to a break down of the E4OD? Danielle, what book and DVD did you get?

7river

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW, I'm not a complete idiot mechanically (obviously sometimes:) ) Just have had my hands full this last year. Trying to recover from it.

Does the flats at the end of the converter seat into the pump?

7river

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can anyone suggest a reliable fair priced converter? Also need recommendations for stall, it's for a e350 short bus, single wheel, will have a fair load (8-9k GVW) 50% of time and sometimes towing a light trailer 3-5k lbs. Would like good highway performance. Being a 350 I guess it has the 4:10 gears but I never checked.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
BTW, I'm not a complete idiot mechanically (obviously sometimes:) ) Just have had my hands full this last year. Trying to recover from it.

Does the flats at the end of the converter seat into the pump?

Yes the flats fall into the pump. You should pull the pump. You can split it or have a tranny shop split it to see if it is damaged.

As for a converter check this guy. www.racerxusa.com

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also printed out other people's upgrades from here and will be doing some of them when I find time for this haha. If you dig back, there is a ton of information over the years of guys on here who have done this.

Almost TOO easy

hahahaha

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That ASTG manual is fine if your going to do a self rebuild or if 7river has a screwed up pump and going to replace it, but it won't do much good showing how the TC is installed to the pump and flexplate.

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Somewhere in this thread he asked what I had got for literature. Looks like you guys already have him back on track with his issues, too. Nice

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bob123456789

Members online