E4OD performance parts

Cowboy_Customs

Rhinestone Cowboy
Reaction score
I will be needing to tear into my E4OD as well as a few other things in the near future, and I was around when Okie got his Baumann. Has anything else comeup that has proven to be a good investment? I got a sonnax accumulator valve waiting to be installed still, and i'll let ya'll know what I think.

But are there any other fancy tricks or parts folks have been installing or like?

Oh has anyone removed the ball in the VB for the snappy 3-2 shift? I was thinking about trying it.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
You can do the tri springs. Get yourself a Trans Go tugger kit. Put the Sonnax part in your tool box nothing against it, but the tugger kit will cover it. Plus do more.;Sweet Do not play with your tranny balls.:D good chance you will be leaving the tranny in the road with broken parts.:rotflmao

What kind of fancy parts would you like. Depending on the year The E4OD can be built into a very sturdy unit. 95 and up is what you want. Oh be prepared to spend $$$. The more $$$ will get you some realy good parts.:D

Remember the weakest link to a ford tranny is the torque converter.-cuss
You might want to replace that **** with something better.

Cowboy_Customs

Rhinestone Cowboy
Reaction score
I was planning on a deep pan, external filter, and a big front cooler. Plus the sonnax, and a shift kit maybe. If I can find a Banks transcommand fer cheap id be happy too. Im just not ready to dump 600 in a Baumann, plus another 600 for a Suncoast convertor. YET anyway. :D

OkieGringo

OkieGringo aka Baja
Reaction score
Cowboy, here is some info for ya.

Full-size trucks first received the huge E4OD (Electronic 4 speed OverDrive) transmission in 1989. Internally, it is essentially a C-6 with overdrive added to the front (such as the A4LD is to the C-3) and an EEC controlled valve body.

If it becomes necessary to overhaul your E4OD transmission, you should perform as many updates as possible if it is a pre-1995 unit. E4OD component updates include, as an example, the following items:

Improved (thicker) converter clutch piston (circa 1994), prevents the formation of cracks which relieve fluid pressure from the apply side of the clutch, causing it to slip and even bluing the outside surface of the torque converter in extreme cases. Ensure that your new converter contains an updated OEM or "LuK" brand heavy-duty clutch. This can be difficult, as many torque converter suppliers and remanufacturers may not use this new style of clutch.

Higher displacement front pump (for 1995) provides more fluid capacity for faster engagement of reverse and greater lube flow.

New (for 1994) 4-pinion overdrive planet and input shaft assemblies replace older 3 and 4 pinion units which tend to develop cracks in the carrier under heavy loads.

Center support update kit (for units built from 1989 through part of 1994) replaces wear-prone bushing with a ball bearing and contains a new overdrive stub shaft.

Stronger overdrive clutch cylinder snap ring which will not dislodge.

Revised sun gear and rear case bushings (circa 1992 model year) provide longer wear life and better lubrication.

Four pinion planet carriers (first used in 1992 model year)

New forward clutch friction plates with hardened internal splines cure "chatter" and "no-drive" conditions in E4OD and some later C-6 transmissions.

Try www.transmissionpartsusa.com, they have real good prices and have not only tool for the E4Od but Sonnax upgrade parts for the pump among other things.
www.bulkpart.com has rebuild kits and small parts kits and upgrade packages to Red Eagle frictions and Kolene steels which are better than the stock setup.
Do a search on Richter69, he has a good pictorial on rebuilding the E4OD, plus good tips and shop built tools which is great. Always replace the output shaft snap ring on the rebuild, the Ford standard number is 387031-S.
The slide hammer can be a universal type as used in body work, you actually are supposed to use 2. One on each side, but alternateing 1 side to side to pull the pump will work. The adapter mates the slide hammer threaded shaft to the threaded holes in the pump. These tools maybe available on the sites mentioned or local. The next tool will possibly be an OTC Ford Rotunda only-- Clutch spring compressor T89T-70010-F. You will also need the gear train tool for disassembly and reassembly. Read further and you will see it mentioned. That tool is available aftermarket.

The missing checkballs indicate you have a later model tranny or a shift kit has been installed. The servo piston also, it was revised to eliminate the plate and snap ring. The snapped shaft is the input shaft and goes from the torque converter to the OD planet carrier. So Far your probably in for replacement of the shaft and OD planet carrier and probably TC due to the metal shavings.

The upgrade info mentioned is correct except the lastest design for the planets is 6 pinion front and rear and 4 for OD all with cast iron carriers. These parts bring strength up to 2002 4r100 Diesel level. Since your fixing it to sell your probably not wanting to upgrade it, just fix it. The ball bearing center support and pump alone will upgrade an IDI tranny to Powerstroke 95-97 strength with the used planets I have. 94-97 diesel units have the same strength planets.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had mine rebuilt and had updated internals, Last fluid change, I put on a deep 4r100 pan with a drainplug, and an external filter with temp gauge. I should have done the ex. filter 2 years ago when it was rebuilt. Its alot smoother shifting than before and less of the "weird" shifts these things are known for. Next upgrade for me is the computer.

Cowboy_Customs

Rhinestone Cowboy
Reaction score
Good info, thanks Okie. I remember seein that stuff before, but its been so long sence i worked on the ol girl I have forgotten a lot of my link for stuff now! :dunno

Cowboy_Customs

Rhinestone Cowboy
Reaction score
Thats a good find Speeder, that one deffinatly went into the favorites! I hope in due time I will get my hands on a nice core E4OD to build up. Im on a very limited budget so I gotta build em slow n careful ya know? I need a hobby that makes me money while im layed up! ;Sweet

Cowboy_Customs

Rhinestone Cowboy
Reaction score
OH, on the topic of tranny stuff, where, or who, has the deep sump tranny pan, for cheap? isnt everyone using Hughes stuff now?

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Save your hard earned dollars and buy the 4R100 4X4 pan.:D your Ford dealer should have it for about $40. bucks. Comes with a drain plug to make life easy.:rotflmao

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Pick up the ATSG manual for the E4OD. This will help out when playing inside a tranny.;Sweet

You can find them on ebay for about $15.