e4od just went up

sootman73

Reaction score
ye get a bigger cooler. The cooler i use is actually an ac condenser from a 91 ford ambulance. i never see tranny temps above 170.... even the eight hour drive from northern ohio to the rally in kentucky in july. at 75 mph. worked really well!

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hah, I see the A/C condenser as a cooler bug is spreading quite fast. Do you still have your factory A/C condenser working as part of your HVAC system?

sootman73

Reaction score
yea i have my factory condenser for my hvac. i've put about 5000 miles on the condenser i have now. works good so far. just need to redesign the connections as they continue to drip atf. i think i'll try some hydraulic thread sealant on the brass fittings cuz thats what leaks.(i had to step up in hose size to fit the lines coming off the condenser.)

i bet the condenser holds two quarts or more of fluid itself! LOL

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I thought of ya when I saw ATS has a 5yr-500,000mi warrenty on their trans. I am certain it is sick expensive but downtime has its price also. Have you ever thought of swapping out to a steeper gear in your rear? I am assuming you have 4:10's. Something in the line of 4:88 or 5:13's would take a huge amount of stress off of your trans and driveshafts. Maybe a 10 lug superduty retrofit? With the OD, you should still be able to squeak out speeds close to 75-80mph. I just couldn't get this off of my mind these past few days and thought I would put it out there. Also, I know a private trans rebuilder in Tuckerton, NJ; K&N Transmission repair. Keith from K&N was a certified Ford trans mechanic for 17 years and left the dealership because he knew he could build a better trans than the dealership would let him. He builds hd replacements for Fords, Chevys and Dodges that tow boats for companies like Viking and Ocean Yachts. Aside from ATS, this is the guy I trust for my rebuilds. I know friends who have given up on Jasper warrenties and paid him to fix their transmissions because its done right when he is finished. I paid $2400 for a hd E4OD with new converter and was very pleased with the performance. Feel free to save this thread and pm me if you want to consider this in the future. Taller gears would help any of these slush boxes in my eyes. Good Luck.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea i have my factory condenser for my hvac. i've put about 5000 miles on the condenser i have now. works good so far. just need to redesign the connections as they continue to drip atf. i think i'll try some hydraulic thread sealant on the brass fittings cuz thats what leaks.(i had to step up in hose size to fit the lines coming off the condenser.)

i bet the condenser holds two quarts or more of fluid itself! LOL

Wait, so you have two condensers now, one for the HVAC and one for the transmission?

What I did with mine was get another passenger-side connector from a junker truck, then cut the hose off it and my factory one, drill them out, and weld barb fittings on them. They are not brass by the way, just coated steel, and they weld rather nicely with a MIG.

J D Recovery

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wait, so you have two condensers now, one for the HVAC and one for the transmission?

What I did with mine was get another passenger-side connector from a junker truck, then cut the hose off it and my factory one, drill them out, and weld barb fittings on them. They are not brass by the way, just coated steel, and they weld rather nicely with a MIG.

is that just stacked over the a/c condenser? :dunno

J D Recovery

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also looking to put a temp gauge on this e4od where is the best place to put the sending unit? Is there a better brand or are they about the same?:dunno

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Use the transmission test port for the sensor. You will find the port (small bolt) in front of the Transmission Range Sensor. (MLPS)