E4od acting a little crazy

cowman79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the other day my truck started shifting strange when driving. The shifts were not happening at the speed or RPM that they should. Later that day when returning home I was on the interstate running about 70 mph and and the torque convertor unlocked and the od light started flashing. I babied the truck for the next 5 miles until I got off the interstate. While driving, the trucks od light quit flashing and the torque convertor locked up again. When I got off the interstate the truck started shifting and locking up at low rpms. Any questions as to what could be wrong. I replaced the FIPL with a new ford one last summer when I was having trouble with it shifting. The truck had threw a code for the FIPL or TPS. I have tested the FIPL with a meter and the voltage sweep looks good no spiking up or down just a smooth sweep from 1 volt to 3.8 volts or so. Any suggestions was be great. I have a low mileage transmission sitting in the garage waiting to be put in but I don't want to put it in if there is another problem. I have also installed another TCM and the truck has been acting normally since it was installed about two months ago until three days ago when it started acting up again.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what codes did you get this time?
when the converter unlocked while in OD it stored 62.so expect to see that one,but hopefully it gives you something else to go on too (to help you find the reason why she unlocked and tossed 62 in the first place.)

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Check for codes. You might find one for the transmission range sensor. (MLPS)
You will have a 62 code. That comes up all the time.

67 is a range sensor code. TC unlocking at speed is one of the symptoms.

cowman79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i pulled the codes and I got a 23 and a 26.

23 is TPS set too high
26 Transmission temperature too high.

If I recall my TPS was set to 1 Volt to 3.8 Volt. I guess I will need to check it again tomorrow. Is there anything that can be done with the transmission temperature fault. Is this a temperature switch or a temperature sensor such as a thermocouple.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you hold the throttle pedal to the floor while performing the test? If not, that's your code #23.

Code #26 is for the transmission fluid temperature sensor, that critter lives on the solenoid back inside the transmission. It's not a thermocouple, it but a thermistor - its resistance varies w/ its ambient temperature. I had the manual diagnostics procedure posted on here somewhere, I'll find it laetr tonight for you, but basically you have to unplug the E4OD harness connector under the brake booster (easy access) and measure resistance across two wires - then you'll know for a fact if the temp sensor is going nuts or not.

cowman79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did not hold the throttle wide open when I was pulling the codes. So I am guessing that there is no way of repairing the thermister.

cowman79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting thing happened today with my truck. I was driving it this morning and about 15 minutes into the drive my torque convertor unlocked and caused the OD light to flash just like before it did this for about 5 minutes and then it quit just like before. This time I drove it all day pulling a trailer pulling it hard manually shifting out of over-drive and it never missed a beat all day. The interesting thing to me is that after driving it for about the same amount of time as before it started acting funny and then quit.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
sure sounds like a bad/dirty solenoid pack (where the tot is also) plug being intermittent like that.
electrical cleaner and grease are your friends.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
the main plug mid way of the trans on the outside and passenger side.up behind a small exhaust heat shield.just up above the pan.
if it looks like the one in the pic attached,you'll have to repair or replace it.for replacement:
http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/E40D_Wire_Harness_Repair_p/260-00026389a.htm

if it looks ok,pull it and spray it really,really good with electrical cleaner and pack with dielectric grease and make sure it fully snaps back in place.

Attachments

• plug.jpg
    plug.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The one in my brick looked like that picture, lots of heat-shrink and some JB Weld fixed it good - since then transmission has been free of retarded behavior, despite truck being used as a boat at least once.

Also use a mirror and look down into the connector that harness plugs into - if you see transmission fluid in there, you may wanna start shopping for a new solenoid pack.

cowman79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I checked the plug on the passenger side of the transmission and both the connector and the plug have liquid in them I am assuming that it is transmission fluid. Now I have to decide whether or not to buy a solenoid pack and install or just install the transmission I have. I hate to buy a solenoid pack and it not fix the problem but on the flip side i don't want to swap the transmission.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online