Dying

dieselrunner

Reaction score
After on the block heater for 3 hours. Truck starts, then sputters out and dies after a about 15 seconds. Cranks for about 15 seconds then fires and runs rough for about 45 seconds. Runs for a couple minutes, then sputters out and dies again. Cranks for 20 seconds fires, runs rough, and idles fairly well afterwards. Drives well for maybe 15 seconds, then it surges and sputters out and dies.

Replaced return lines and that didnt fix the problem. Thought it might be air in lines.

The conclusion I have arrived at is this. Truck gets enough fuel to idle, but anymore (sustained revs or normal driving load) and it sputters and dies. So this would meen a fuel related problem, correct?. With a new fuel filter and return lines does it sound like a fuel pump?

IP has about 40K on it.

So are there tests that can be run to determine a bad fuel pump? Anyone else have ideas what it might be?

Thanks all.

sassyrel

Reaction score
sounds like the fuel pump has taken a dump, hole in the diaphragm. the holes can happen in diff spots----one can lead to fuel dumping in the crankcase---they dont cost much--and not bad to put in---ask mel-he seen me do one at a idi weekend some years back!!!!!!!!! only about 18 smacks--less they have went up--:rotflmao

BIG DAVE

OILBURNER FOR LIFE!
Reaction score
do you have winter fuel, i ask cuz my dad's did the same thing cuz he dosent drive it much and forgot to put winter fuel in it. or the lift pump, just my 2 cents

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 on the bad lift pump. I would just replace it as they are cheap and it's a pretty easy job, but if you have an electric pump handy I would bypass the mechanical pump and see if your problem goes away.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Electric pumps are great but... Don't install one and try to push fuel thru the mechanical pump... When... I really mean when the mechanical pump fails and the electric is pushing fuel thru it the oil will become diluted and there goes all the bearings... No motors like to run on diesel fuel for motor oil.... Yes... I think you have a bad lift pump...

dieselrunner

Reaction score
Alright then, yes, reviewing of some search results on here indicates a similar result. I will be replacing the lift pump with another mechanical one. Anyone have link or any material on replacing a lift pump? Would it be covered in a manual? Tips on said replacement? Anything special to look for in a replacement? Any brands to stay away from?

Thank you.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
How much fuel in the tank?If down to 1/2 or 1/4 tank,try filling up and retry.The pickup tube might have fallen off sucking air.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
If it is the mechanical pump.Just replace with a diesel rated Electric and use a big block chevy block off plate.

johnnyb1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changed lift pump on the 88 several years ago. Seems like it was just as easy as any v8= fuel lines,2 bolts & that was it.
PS. Old v8 that is. Have you checked the return valve in top of inj. pump?

dieselrunner

Reaction score
Changed lift pump on the 88 several years ago. Seems like it was just as easy as any v8= fuel lines,2 bolts & that was it.
PS. Old v8 that is. Have you checked the return valve in top of inj. pump?

No I have not. You are refering to the brass fitting to connect the return lines with the IP? Is there also one in the shrader valve? Is this a ball bearing check valve? Is it as simple as unscrew, clean, reinstall?

Thanks.

johnnyb1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's it. Mine would stick every few months. 3 screws on top of pump, WD40 and a few minutes cleaning would do it. When it sticks it doesn't let it pump fuel correctly. Hope that's all it is

johnnyb1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure could be filter too. Just went thru this at work a month ago. Bad fuel. Had to drain every truck,saw,tank,all filters. [37 straight hrs] This new fuel is giving alot of problems. Do cheap,easy stuff first