DRW inner spring clearance

RavenTBK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody able to take a quick measurement of their inner wheel to springpack clearance?

I finally got around to removing a tire, to see if these dually rims fit and properly clear. Truck was supposed to be originally DRW, but was switched to SRW during its tenure with the local municipality. Previous owner gave four steelies, as he was planning on swapping back himself. No idea what these other steels came off of, but the inner bottoms out on the brake drum as its supposed to, but Ive got what looks to be 1.25" between the face of the wheel and the springs. Is that correct?

RavenTBK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Appreciate the response. Now that I am on the PC instead of typing up on the phone, I can maybe make a bit more sense. :)

For the record, its a 1990 F350 CC 2wd ZF. Supposedly worked for the county govt, before the PO got ahold of it and sold it to me. Its got a spiffy flatbed on the back, no box. I am familiar with the Bronco with its 302HO...this is my first foray into owning a heavy duty with the diesel. :) I've done all the reading regarding SRW->DRW swaps, and how the wheels will hit the springs and not completely seat on the drum. The part that confuses me is these wheels do...but with 1.25" to spare. I really know nothing about the trucks history... nor did the PO. I'm just trying to feel around in the dark to learn more about this.

Not 100% sure where I should be measuring from, but sticking the tape across the frame to the inside of the opposite "C" and back again, shows to be about 37". Spring perch to spring perch is approx 44". Leafs are 3" wide, six in the pack..or is that 5 with 1 overload? Whatever. Backing plate to backing plate looks like its 55". I dont have the tires yet, as I wanted to verify proper fitment before I drop more dough to fix a non-issue. I've attached a couple pics showing what I'm working with. Do those measurements sound like a cab&chassis and genuine DRW axle?

The ultimate goal is to pop back to DRW and put on some stock sized 235/85 aggressive recaps from TreadWright, and leave the SRW steels up front with some wider meats for flotation in the awful sugar sand I have to deal with around here.

Attachments

• tr 006.jpg
    tr 006.jpg
    868.7 KB · Views: 4
  • tr 005.jpg
    tr 005.jpg
    845.6 KB · Views: 7

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin