Dreaded tire sizes

carrasco4712

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those look great! How are you liking the Wranglers?
So far they are great, gave me a nice small lift and the 285s make for a much more stable ride, because you know, its the crewcab long bed. Will try them out in the snow soon and update the post. Also, it is flooded real good where i live and they handle great in deep water pools and the mud.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

SirRea63l

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine is the CCLB also, I don't really want new wheels but I may have no other choice. I am more of a fan of the narrower tires than the wider ones. How much did the 285's affect the already abominable turning radius?

carrasco4712

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really didnt notice any change

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
285's dont rub so the turning radius does not change. I need wider tires for sand here. Skinny tires get you stuck quick!

carrasco4712

Full Access Member
Reaction score
285's dont rub so the turning radius does not change. I need wider tires for sand here. Skinny tires get you stuck quick!
That makes sense, if they don't rub why would the radius change.

SirRea63l

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Changes in diameter or width can increase turning radius, simple physics, but it isn't always noticeable but it is measurable. The CCLB already has a very large turning radius so any increase is noteworthy.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

SirRea63l

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great looking truck Chris! Those 32's look awesome.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
You're truck is SWR, correct? My 2wd dually rubs with 235/85R16's on the front, but on a SWR you can run up to 35x12.50's without rub EXCEPT at full steering lock (with radius arms anyway/D44 TTB). You probably have a little more clearance being 4x4 and having leaf springs up front. Rears can go as high as 37's without rub, but you'd need lift to stuff them under the front.

SirRea63l

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're truck is SWR, correct? My 2wd dually rubs with 235/85R16's on the front, but on a SWR you can run up to 35x12.50's without rub EXCEPT at full steering lock (with radius arms anyway/D44 TTB). You probably have a little more clearance being 4x4 and having leaf springs up front. Rears can go as high as 37's without rub, but you'd need lift to stuff them under the front.

Yes, SRW, 4x4, D60 up front. I have never got stuck with 235's even with our black clay soil so the extra wide tires are not a benefit for me.

I think the 255/85's will win out, 33.1" and they will fit my stock wheels.

Pork_Chop50

He looks kinda hairy and slobbery to me....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have 285/75 Toyo's and like them. They did rub when I turned and the suspension compressed (coming out of a parking lot) but after doing a RSK the rub eliminated completely. Another friend has run Cooper S/T 255/85r16's and loves them. Gets typically ~40k and he is not a rotate fiend. Toyo makes the M-55 in a 255/85 but they are a bit pricey (>$270/tire). Personal opinion I really like the look of a 255/85 on these pickups, but went with a 285 to get an AT tread.

SirRea63l

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To update this, I made a decision and pulled the trigger. I went ahead and got new wheels as well as tires. American Racing Outlaw II 8" with the Mud Terrain 255/85/16 tires. I can live with it like this.

Thanks to everyone who pitched in with advise.

Pork_Chop50

He looks kinda hairy and slobbery to me....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is hoping they are everything you want them to be. It's silly, but I too agonize over tire purchases looking through size and tread combinations until I think I've found the perfect set, and then second guess that decision. Pickup looks very nice, has a great stance. Unrelated but would you toss a picture of how your running boards are mounted to your box? I have the cab boards, and the pieces to do the bed length but no mounting hardware. I'd like to see a design before I just make something big and ugly.