Draining coolant

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
why does it have to be a pain in the A$$ every time you have to drain coolant?
the drain plug sits over the radiator crossmember, and every time its drained it causes a big damn mess!

i thought about threading a extention into the drain plug hole, with a 90 so that i can control the draining process.

found a leaky radiator hose this morning that prompted this.

do you just bear with it? or have you done something different?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BIG PAN, pull the lower rad hose and swoosh...done deal.

DO NOT forget the block drain plugs, and install petcocks and drain when needed.

Have fun.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
done now.
should have replaced the hoses after i installed the engine....-cuss

would you advise installing a copper nipple and a 90?
or would it end up being problematic than its worth?
its a cheap ass plastic tank radiator

ZWilson07

Cowboy
Reaction score
I feel for you man. If I was you I would just keep it like it is but like Riot suggested, just use the lower radiator hose and install petcocks in the block for totally draining it.

I need to do this as well but I am dreading doing the work but need to get new coolant in there. When I bought the truck 2 years ago it was done then but I don't know how in depth he did it. My green coolant still looks really clean but I would rather be safe than sorry to prevent any cavitation.

Which reminds me I need to test my coolant.

Reaction score
Just got done installing a new water pump last weekend, so I feel your pain. I LOATHE any job involving coolant. Sticky, watery, gets everywhere, just a royal PITA. Of course, I've had to do just about every coolant-related job on this truck (hoses, radiator, thermostat, and now water pump), but not at the same time, so I've had the 'joy' of taking coolant baths more times than I'd like.

The only recommendation I have is to open the petcock slowly so you can control the flow. Full force, mine hits something in the steering linkage and makes a mess, but if I open it until just before the stream makes contact, it's much less messy. The drain blocks are another story. They're not super easy to get at, and the stream will go just about everywhere. One of these times I'm going to replace them with petcocks to try to gain some control, but I keep forgetting to buy them in advance.

Oh, and for anyone curious, just draining the system via the radiator petcock will NOT get out enough to not make a mess when removing the water pump. I drained mine the night before using just the radiator petcock, and I was thoroughly pleased that I did not make that big of mess. I figured doing it the night before would save me from having to deal with any nasty coolant the day of. Well, turns out that didn't work. Once I got the pump free, the water line was still high enough that I dumped about a half gallon or so on the driveway. I was too lazy to get underneath and remove the block drains, so instead I used an old turkey baster to remove enough coolant so that the surface would stay dry as I tried to clean it.

Mike

Last edited:

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know this wont drain everything. But will be a lot cleaner the next time I drain

You must be registered for see images attach

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that shi* makes a mess everytime i do it.
i plan on owning this truck for a long time, so why not make it easier on me the next time i gotta replace a hose, or something.
i have a new heater core on its way. so ill be using it soon!

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always use a length of hose over the rad drain nipple, right into a bucket = zero mess.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that 90 egree turn down is actually genious. such a simple and cheap ie,a but man...rianign the rad is so much of a cleaner job with this! straight down!

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
greg, i had to trim the first few threads of the plastic drain plug off, but it works quiet well. no more mess!
i think both the 3/8" nipple and 90* fitting cost me 6 bucks.