Down Pipe

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK guys, looks as I may have to do a hurry up turbo install, got a call yesterday and it looks like I may be headed for Up State NY for some work (9mo to a year-pipeline).
I have a 94 factory turbo and need to know about the down pipe from the turbo. Is it flat or is it round and what size is it. I need to have this on by this weekend.

Jim

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
The factory downpipe does have a "flat" or oval spot in it, dunno size. The aftermarket one that I bought from banks is 3" round. I know I have seen a picture of the stock pipe that someone here posted once.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jim, the "factory" pipe is flat, but you don't want that one. You need the ATS one. I realize you may have to take whatever you can get, but that's the deal.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But wait...you need the ATS exhaust flange to bolt up to a 3" DP. A competent exhaust shop may be able to make a 3" downpipe, but since you need to get to work, you might just have to throw the factory pipe on there and tolerate it until you get some free time and $$$ to play with. the ATS flange is expensive and some would say not worth the money they want for it. If it already has the upgraded flange, then the downpipe will be 3" as well. Also ATS and jhdiesel still carry this downpipe which will bolt up to said upgraded flange by itself for around $70. Ford took this short cut on the factory turbo trucks to avoid that pesky firewall clearance problem at the cost of some performance and airflow. Good luck,
JD

IDIJunkie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are some pictures of the stock and ATS upgrades.

Attachments

• 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    255.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    262.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 35.JPG
    35.JPG
    252 KB · Views: 22
  • 36.JPG
    36.JPG
    254.3 KB · Views: 20

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
My moms truck has a 3" pipe hooked up to the stock housing. Any competent shop can make it, all you have to have is the V-band flange the correct size and a bend put in it and thats pretty much it.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang that stock downpipe sure would have cleared a lot easier, BUT that much restriction would cost a LOT higher EGTS and lower boost I would think.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JD, I didnt have the gauges until after I replaced the DP, But I know it makes a HUGE difference in power. Pulling the 5'er to the lake was much more enjoyable after the upgrade, felt like a new truck. Also gave my dads 99 a run for its money.

sootman73

Reaction score
okay quick question. the ford dealer is sending my truck to an exhaust shop to have the exhaust replaced after my crash. i just talked to the ford guy and said something about having the downpipe replaced with a new piece the shop could make. what do i tell the muffler shop when i explain to them what i want. i want the biggest DP they can fit. will a 3in pipe bolt right up to the stock housing? or do i have to use 2.5-2.75"? can they make the flare alright? do they have to change the clamp if they make their own flare? its goin over there this afternoon or tom mornin so i dont have a lot of time.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Have them make a 3" pipe with the V-band flange to clamp to the back of the stock housing. Thats what I was trying to describe about my moms truck. It has a pipe like that and it sure makes a difference over our other stock DP turbo trucks we have. Im sure its not near as much as installing the new exhaust housing for the slip tube DP but its all us poor folks can do and it does make a difference.

Timthetoolman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My shop just cut and welded the flange piece that clamps to the turbo and welded it to the three inch down pipe. (of course a 3 inch flange is too big)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin