Doing the ATF Engine Flush Thing

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Theres a race shop around here that does transmission rebuilds and uses Mobile 1 0W-30(maybe0W-20??) synthetic engine oil in there transmissions. I've not had any of my stuff there but I'm told they are top notch, never heard of anyone having problems. I guess they do it because THAT type of engine oil is the same as Synthetic ATF but cheaper, the difference being ATF has red dye in it.
Could be true, Oil is all the same we just pay extra $$$ for the additives.

tractorman86

Reaction score
He does his oil changes in our shop, on our hoists, and I SEE WITH MY EYES him opening the new bottles of ATF and funneling them into the crank-case; I don't know, maybe he then sneaks home and replaces the ATF with plain old oil.:dunno; it seems like a lot of trouble and expense to just be blowing smoke up someone.

wow that is crazy i thought maybe he was just telling you that to be a smartass but if you have seen it with your own eyes...:dunno i sure wouldnt trust it though

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
To run ATF instead of oil, the guy is a moron. Yes, ATF is roughly the equivilany of a 20wt lubricant, but that's where the similarities end, the ATF is not matched for engine seal compatibility, or bearing and ring material compatibility, and it does not contain the additives that the lubricant engineers have so diligently prepared to neutralize acids and other byproducts of combustion that would very quickly destroy the atf and the engine cookoo