does any one know why the transmission cooler is in the radiator???

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
No.. Not at all but you must run a large enough external cooler to support the trans. My BTS came with the recommendation to not use the radiator cooler but use a 99 and up psd trans cooler that mounts in there bumper. I use a large cooler that almost covers half of my radiator and it seems to work well but I want more. So I will be modifying what I have.

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For whatever reason, my radiator doesn't have a cooler. It had a Aftermarket with braided lines. I'm probably going keep it and add a cooler off of a Duramax.

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
My last radiator leaked ATF so I bypassed it with a aux cooler. Never had an issue, but mine's a C6. It appears your's has an E4OD, which is gonna need a fairly large cooler if you plan on putting any load on/behind your truck with the radiator cooler bypassed.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
B&M makes a nice cooler with a built in thermostatically controlled fan, I've had my eye on

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
The reason for the O/W cooler is to control temp spikes. Most O/A coolers don't work well with minimal air flow over them. This would be in heavy traffic situations or when backing that big trailer up a hill. If you omit the cooler in the radiator. Make sure the air cooler is big enough handle the situation.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have 2 coolers on mine.the one i got with the monsterbox in the grill.a smaller stacked plate cooler behing a cut out in the bumper with a fan on it.temps wont get any hotter than they are when i turn the fan on.3/8 fittings and hoses on both coolers.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The radiator also stabilizes the tranny oil temperature. Warms it in cold weather, cools it in the summer, keeping it around the 200 degree area. A lot of tranny rebuilders do not like to warrenty their trannies if you use the cooler without cleaning it out, or use a filter in the cooler lines. When a tranny goes south, all those metal particles go through the whole unit, including the tranny cooler(s).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online