Diesel Torque Converter 101

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We always seem to be talking about engine mods to make our trucks faster.

But what about torque converters for those that have automatics?

Is anyone using a higher or lower stall converter?

Our trucks were made for the masses. I'm trying to set up my truck the way I like it.

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm running one of these ( http://racerxusa.com/product_info.php?cPath=82&products_id=267 ) in my truck. I have absolutely no reason to run a stupid overkill torque converter like that, other than "because I can." The stall on it is about 1400.

I haven't done any towing or hauling since I had it put on, so I can't comment on how well it works for that. It really doesn't make a night-and-day difference, it's kinda hard to describe, but I definitely like it. It makes the throttle feel more responsive, you don't have to rev it to 1800-2k to get things moving (the power range feels way less "mushy" now, if that makes any sense), it grabs and goes at about 1400-1500. It won't get you to 60 any faster, but around town it helps get you out of your own way.

I don't know if I'd really suggest that someone do the same (unless you need a beefy TC for working) because it's a LOT of money for not a lot of gain, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat. You have a LOT of grunt down low, it's nice to actually be able to feel it and use it.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya I use a single disk clutch torque converter...haz 3rd pedal...converts torque from engine into the transmission that I GET TO CHOOSE the gears in...all 5 of em...Had one blow 3rd and for longest tkme just did 1 2 4 5 shifts got good at it...no limp home mode...yuppers Valeo torque converter gooder!!!

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When ordering please enter your vehicle's VIN number, the exact model, your engine size, your model year and 2 or 4 wheel drive. Also specify either 4 or 6 stud converter. In example: 1995 Ford F-150 with 7.3 diesel engine and 2 wheel drive, 4 studs.
Anyone got a F150 with a 7.3 diesel in it?
If you've ever searched for a TC, most all claim to be the best.

If you read Racerx advertisement, the TC is for all "The EAGLE BILLET TORQUE CONVERTER for 1989-1998 E4OD transmissions equipped with Ford 7.3 diesel engines."
So why do they ask for all that info I quoted above, all you would need to tell is if you need a 4 or 6 bolt TC.

Why don't they have different prices, for different years?

I have bought different TC's at a much lower cost and didn't see much if any difference in them. From billet to just the steel case.

My thoughts are, A single disc, furnace brazed and low torque is sufficient unless your gonna drag race or pulling.
A triple disc would be nice if your constantly pulling heavy loads of 10K or over, you might get a small amount of slip which would increase the trans temp a little. You have to remember, most all the heat comes from the TC. If you had a PSD and a scanner, you could measure the slip at different loads.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Ya I use a single disk clutch torque converter...haz 3rd pedal...converts torque from engine into the transmission that I GET TO CHOOSE the gears in...all 5 of em...Had one blow 3rd and for longest tkme just did 1 2 4 5 shifts got good at it...no limp home mode...yuppers Valeo torque converter gooder!!!

You know, a manual transmission is not for everyone. There are many reasons for someone to WANT an automatic transmission. This question was asked about torque converters for automatics. I for one am VERY GLAD I have an automatic transmission. I currently have a knee injury, and I am NOT ABLE to push a clutch at this point. My 5 Speed sits in the driveway at home since I CAN NOT DRIVE IT.

There was no call for this post. Each member is entitled their own opinion and preferences. Just because their opinion is not the same as yours, DOES NOT MAKE THEM WRONG. Believe it or not, some people actually PREFER an automatic......

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Indeed, as in most of the rest of the world, slushboxes are for cripples. Having had a recent knee injury there was a period of time I would have been busier than a one legged man at an ass kicking contest trying to drive a manual trans, and was glad I did not convert my IDI truck to a ZF5 yet. However if I had to, I would have got by just as I did moving that truck out of the way. Sure some people like slushboxes, I cannot fathom why. If I was permanently without use of use of a leg, a slushbox would simply be more practical but certainly not superior or preferable.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know, a manual transmission is not for everyone. There are many reasons for someone to WANT an automatic transmission. This question was asked about torque converters for automatics. I for one am VERY GLAD I have an automatic transmission. I currently have a knee injury, and I am NOT ABLE to push a clutch at this point. My 5 Speed sits in the driveway at home since I CAN NOT DRIVE IT.

There was no call for this post. Each member is entitled their own opinion and preferences. Just because their opinion is not the same as yours, DOES NOT MAKE THEM WRONG. Believe it or not, some people actually PREFER an automatic......

I for one LOVE automatics...

After driving my truck with C6 in heavy traffic it was bliss...sold me on auto.

I have an E4OD here for 4x however...cost of rebuild is well beyond me.

C6 was just too damn slow and ate fuel much too quickly.

Thus my option was limited to hand shaker with single disk torque converter and third pedal.

Ifn I had a rebuilt E4OD laying around...it WOULD HAVE BEEN INSTALLED INSTEAD OF MANUAL

Guess I am comfortable being comfortable in my truck.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
We always seem to be talking about engine mods to make our trucks faster.

But what about torque converters for those that have automatics?

Is anyone using a higher or lower stall converter?

Our trucks were made for the masses. I'm trying to set up my truck the way I like it.

Go with a lower stall.

Using a lower stall converter will take advantage of the low end torque of a diesel.

RacerX makes a decent priced four stud converter that will work well with your 7.3. :thumbsup:

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score

I choose the gears in all my autos. Yank the gear selector to any position I want. :rotflmao

Best part, my leg never get tired from that third pedal thats always in the way. :D

fsmyth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How did this get off into an auto-vs-manual thing?

Unless you do a LOT of driving, the torque converter type is not going to make a huge
difference. A low-stall is good, a lock-up is better, but they all work. The tighter they
are, the lower your transmission temps will be for the same load. Use what you got.

My -.02 worth: automatics are preferable for the general population, who never heard
of a power band.
Manual transmissions are more fun to drive :)

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just my opinion, but perhaps the "Tugger" shift kit for the E4OD is as important as a decent TC. A good TC (at least better than stock) and a "complete" installation of the "Tugger" kit, including the pump mods, will make the trans work better. The combination of TC and shift kit will get rid of those slushy soft shifts and will make it seem like you have more power. The shifts in my truck are not super hard (unless the pedal is to the floor from a dead stop) but are firm and crisp. The TC lockup is also crisp and feels like another upshift when it happens. It just seems like my truck is more responsive since the trans work was done.

fsmyth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup. What you said.
I was actually referring to fuel mileage when I said not a huge difference.
There is (to me) a big difference in how the shifts feel from one to the other -
I like a firmer shift. Didn't really want to go into specifics, since the thread was
about torque converters, but almost any shift kit will improve transmission
performance. Some better than others. The combination (higher pressures,
improved delays, tighter clearances) and a lower coupling loss in the converter
add up to a completely different transmission, that generally has a better life.
All the above needs to be taken into consideration in a rebuild. Some of the
transmission components are marginal in a stock transmission. Experience plays
a major roll in what needs to be beefed up a bit.

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just my opinion, but perhaps the "Tugger" shift kit for the E4OD is as important as a decent TC. A good TC (at least better than stock) and a "complete" installation of the "Tugger" kit, including the pump mods, will make the trans work better. The combination of TC and shift kit will get rid of those slushy soft shifts and will make it seem like you have more power. The shifts in my truck are not super hard (unless the pedal is to the floor from a dead stop) but are firm and crisp. The TC lockup is also crisp and feels like another upshift when it happens. It just seems like my truck is more responsive since the trans work was done.

Don't forget about the US Shift controller http://www.becontrols.com/

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
when i had the oem converter in chip truck,id load up and take off was very mushy.i hated it.it had to rev before it would move.mostly id use 4lo anyway for crawling around to load up but once on the street and in 4 hi every time id take off it would rev before it would go.too slushy.once i went with the extra low stall she was just always responsive when i loaded it,just like when she was empty.
with log truck and it's 5.13 gearing,the oem feels fine.
a transgo kit and a lower stall converter and your going to make a manual trans guy envious.:D

Sure some people like slushboxes, I cannot fathom why. If I was permanently without use of use of a leg, a slushbox would simply be more practical but certainly not superior or preferable.

coffee in one hand,steering wheel in the other.less effort to drive.it may not matter much to the guy who hops in his truck and drive a couple miles,non stop to work.but when you can literally shift 100-200 times per day.......it gets old real quick.
you also get a higher tow rating than a manual trans truck.another advantage the auto has is we keep most of our boost between shifts where your going to drop probably down to 0 boost pressure between each manual shift.the auto trans truck setup the same way an manual trans truck is going to be much quicker performing the same work.

now if only that dang od light would stop blinking at me!:D

Last edited: