Diesel swap in an F150 4x4

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I was discussing a diesel swap for my 1996 F150 XLT 4x4 (5.0/4R70W with 210,000km) with Agnem via email after seeing his 6.9 swap into the bronco.....I have 2 options currently....I have an 87 E350 cube van with a 6.9/C6 combo (221,000km) that I bought for $75cdn .:Thumbs Up ...Not currently running but it only needs some starter work....I also as of last week have a 97 E350, 7.3L PSD/E40D with 376,000km. It runs and drives great - cost me $1500cdn....I figured I could make a profit from it if I didn't use the engine.

My truck is in great shape so I'd like to keep it but gas is going nuts in price up here in Canuckland and I also need more power when I start towing my ranger drag truck this summer.....The 6.9 swap would be much easier with very little wiring involved and having a C6 it would be tough as nails too - I could rebuild the C6 for peanuts as well. The 7.3PSD would be more fun and having an extra gear would be nice too....I could also "upgrade" things over time for more HP eaiser with the 7.3.....

What would you guys do?, swap it or sell them all to get a diesel F250 or F350? I thought an F150 with a PSD would rattle a few gearheads and get some second looks when they hear the rumble.

Last edited:

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
  1. sell the engine & tranny from the F150
  2. sell the C6 tranny
  3. use money to get a nice E4OD tranny for the 150 or your fuel milage will suffer
  4. drop 6.9 with e4od into F150 for a daily driver and toy
  5. part out remainder of '87 E350
  6. use money to fix up '97 E350 for a nice race car hauler, it'll have more power to tow and better suspention for it too. Vans are handy for traveling to the races and tools are more secure than the back of a pickup if you don't have an enclosed trailer too.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
either way its gonna cost you some money.for the 6.9 you will need the oil cooler,drivers motor mount and drivers exhaust manifold for the truck.for the PSD you will need the oil cooler,drivers motor mount,drivers exhaust manifold and up pipe,all wireing from under the dash and the complete headlight and engine/tranny wireing harnesses and PCM/IDM.too much work if you ask me.i just did a gasser to 7.3IDI swap and it wasnt fun at all.it could be done easier by just hooking up the wires needed from the gasser harness but i wanted the factory look and operation.

sell it all and get a PSD truck

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
My original idea was to fix up the van but it needs too much work for MVI and then it would be the 4th rig in my yard that I would have to insure....I have a fiberglass tonneau cover for my truck to secure my stuff at the track. How much is a good running 7.3PSD worth?

I've put an ad on a few local sites/mags to see if I could trade any of my rigs for a Ford diesel 4x4, we'll see what comes of that....I've had several calls from people looking to buy my 96 but I'd rather trade it, I'd be farther ahead. I need a 4x4 for the winter time and for hauling firewood out of the back country. I'v already got a buyer for the 7.3 engine/trans if I choose to part it out. My original intent for the cubevan was to build a hauler for the Ranger and put a deck on the rear....But it needs a new cab and I already have too many projects....LOL

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
|stupid $1500 - $3000 easy. The 6.9 should bring at least $1000 or better too. You have enough good parts on both vans to make a nice tidy profit. Part the vans on eBay and sell the shells for scrap metal, then sell the F150 and you should have enough to buy a pretty nice PSD pickup.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I can buy used 7.3's and 6.9's around here for a few hundred bucks. I have a line on 2 F350's, both 7.3's, both 4 door quad cabs....One 4x4 one 2wd. The 4x4 is a rugged beast, solid front axle and a very heavy built custom steel deck on the back...$2500cdn for the 4x4. I 'm working on a deal to get the 2wd dirt cheap....It has a quad cab as well, the cab is great as is the floor. The frame is good as well....I'm thinking rather than buy a truck I might build one....Start with a bare frame and piece it together my way.....The quad cab's are kinda long but they would give me a complete running gear....Having the van and cube van for parts would be helpful....I have an excellent 88 F150 frame here as well - great shape....So many options and decisions....LOL....I could drive my 96 until I had the custom truck finished.