Diesel Runaway Description:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I was speaking of the small diesels in some of the foreign cars and such... BTW driving those little SOBs blows, no torque.
Like my little Volvo diesels ( VW 6 cyl ) they redline around 5500, but those maniacs in scandinavia that love to use those things for ice racing are known for pushing the things WAY past that. I've heard it's pretty common to tweek the pumps to get around 7500 out of them :eek:
Got to remember, those Europeans have been buying diesel cars at a rate of around 65% of their new car purchases on the average for a number of years. they've had a big head start on learning to hot rod the things.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
Had a cat 3406b run backwards once. The idle switch for the Jakes wasn't working. Jakes came on all 6 cyls at idle, bringing the motor almost to a stop before I got them switched off. Motor returned to idle but sounded weird. Let the clutch out in first and backwards I went. Then quick shut it down before lack of oil caused any issues

that reminds me of the time my friends old husquvarnia (spelling??) 400 2 stroke dirt bike back fired when he was kick starting it, and ran backwards, he didn't notice, threw it in gear and it flew across the parking lot backwards into a car! :rotflmao

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
that reminds me of the time my friends old husquvarnia (spelling??) 400 2 stroke dirt bike back fired when he was kick starting it, and ran backwards, he didn't notice, threw it in gear and it flew across the parking lot backwards into a car! :rotflmao

1970's Yamaha DT360 with lightened flywheels would to that if you hauled them without a pipe plug in the exhaust. Buddy of mine started his at the drags, pushed it to the line, put it in gear and slammed into the backstop :rotflmao

BTW it's Husquvarna

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score

:rotflmao that's great! Prolly had to remove his balls from the handle bars,.

LOL

D.A.V_Oil_Brnr

M88 Junky
Reaction score
runaway

When i lived in Arizona way back when, a shop had a big rig pull in with a damaged turbo. What happened was that the way the engine was built and put together, a barrier was built into the system to prevent oil gushing up into the intake. It broke like a an explosive charge on a damn.

Ever hear one of those big straight 6 diesels run a marathon of death? The entire shop evacuated to the street over 300 yards away, cringing. And when that thing blew up, finally, you could have sworn it was a bomb going off....

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's what caused the gulf oil spill - a cloud of gas was drawn into the oil rig's engines.