Diesel Runaway Description:

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the 7.3 in my crewcab run away one morning. It was very loud and very scary. Getting away from it was my only reaction, never even tried to shut it down.
Yah a run away is a attention getter, sux it happened to your own rig.

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been looking at videos for this. Brings a whole new respect and humbleness to engines all over again.

There was a video of a BMW running away on the side of the road, the driver kept hitting what looked like a shut off valve under the hood. Was that for air intake? Anyone do this for their own?

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score

mopwrd340

Reaction score
I have seen a cummins 350 run away one of the mechanics at the shop i worked at was playing with the linkage on the pt pump and started it with it unhooked . it took off we finally got it to shut off stuffing dirty uniforms around the air cleaner the eng was okay . at one of our other yards they were replacing a blown turbo on a mack e7 300 and they didnt clean out the charge air cooler . they were revving it up with cab over well it took off they all ran:rotflmao after that it needed a new motor bent every rod and smacked almost every valve . has anyone ever seen a diesel run backwards.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen a cummins 350 run away one of the mechanics at the shop i worked at was playing with the linkage on the pt pump and started it with it unhooked . it took off we finally got it to shut off stuffing dirty uniforms around the air cleaner the eng was okay . at one of our other yards they were replacing a blown turbo on a mack e7 300 and they didnt clean out the charge air cooler . they were revving it up with cab over well it took off they all ran:rotflmao after that it needed a new motor bent every rod and smacked almost every valve . has anyone ever seen a diesel run backwards.

Ive seen the old 671 detroits in our school buses run backwards. If the person driving let the clutch out too quick and got it to an almost stall point, the engine would reverse and you knew right away because smoke would pour out of the intake and the oil pressure buzzer would roar.

bigrandy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I was working for a logging outfit in high school the night mechanic was working on a 3406A Cat and when he put the governor housing back on he didn't get it hooked right.When we fired it up it went to full fuel and that was the scariest sound I've ever heard.I ran out of the shop and just watched the thing tear itself apart.Credit to cat motors,it blew itself apart,but never lifted the head or broke the crank.it destroyed the whole front of the Pete that it was in,as the mechanic panicked and slammed the hood as he ran out.Needless to say say he got fired lol

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
Depends on the engine, your screaming jimmies that you're always working on/with may not, but some of the smaller ones will easily pass 10K in a runaway. Remember some diesels run 6K+ on fuel.

I'm not disputing this, I am curious how does oil burn fast enough to get the engine to 10k rpms?
Also, what kinda diesels run to 6k on fuel? The highest I've seen is 5200rpms.
Of course I don't mess with really small diesels that often.

Dp

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
Ive seen the old 671 detroits in our school buses run backwards. If the person driving let the clutch out too quick and got it to an almost stall point, the engine would reverse and you knew right away because smoke would pour out of the intake and the oil pressure buzzer would roar.

i had my scout hooked to my friends cj7 when i had my SD33 diesel. well i popped the clutch too fast, he drug me before i got back on the clutch and it fired up, the smoke bellowed from under the hood! man was that freaky! :puke:

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some of the older guys might remember when I had my governor cover off in 2004 on a run of crappy IPs I had been getting. I had gotten a new governor cover. A bent inkage caused it to take off at full fuel when I started it. It was terrifying and brought the neighbors over. I stuffed a beach towel in the intake, no effect, pulled the fuel shutoff solenoid...no effect. I finally got it shutdown by cutting the fuel lines. The rpm was high but it may not have been much above governed RPM. It was enough fuel that it was more black smoke than I have ever seen anywhere and baked soot onto my dad's truck that was sitting next to it at the time. I was sure I had killed it, but it restarted just fine with the old poorly functioning (I had thought) governor cover reinstalled. One thing is for sure, it is a scary situation and hard to stick around and think rationally while it's happening. That engine is still in my truck and running reasonably well 7.5 years and 60,000+ miles later. I think the main difference between this and the catastrophic outcomes outlined in this post is that it never ran away on oil or crankcase vapors it just got jammed to full fuel. It is a recognized issue with messing with the governor or internals of the pump. I'm now always prepared when installing a new pump or if the current one has had anything critical messed with. If it's just fuel cutting off the air or fuel supply will kill it, maybe not if the crankcase oil and vapors or other gas vapors are involved. I was an example of knowing just enough to be dangerous.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle