diesel run away tonight while going down the road

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The OP is getting the same responses on PBB as on here.

It's obviously either a issue with the pump, fast idle solenoid, or the throttle linkage is sticking.

Kalashnikov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the oil was overfull there you go, why do you people keep insisting otherwise? :dunno Oil is unregulated fuel so obviously it's gonna rev to high hell without a care in the world. It's the same as oil coming in through a bad turbo seal.

For 6500 you could've bought another a truck.

If you want to replicate the issue again, toss another gallon of oil in it.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
When a diesel starts running away, depending on whether it's running on fuel or oil, there is one basic and sure-fire way to kill it. Cut off it's air supply. No fuel, be it diesel, oil, trans fluid, whatever- can burn without air. On all the refinery trucks now they have a butterfly valve plumbed into the intake, and a sensor to detect high levels of hydrocarbons in the air. That way if there is a major gas or fuel leak at the refinery, the diesel engines won't run away, blow up, and cause an explosion. I watched a generator service tech save a run away cummins generator once by dumping a full CO2 fire extinguisher into the intake. Fuel needs oxygen to burn, so cut off the oxygen and the engine will stop.

For peace of mind it wouldn't be that hard to rig up a CO2 fire extinguisher in the cab of the truck, and have it plumbed out to the intake. If the biscuits hit the fan you can reach down, pull the pin and push the lever down and dump a bunch of non-combustible gas down the beast's throat.

That is, if you've got your wits about you... Me personally, I would probably be in "my happy place" and getting my thoughts in order and confessing my sins... :sly

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When a diesel starts running away, depending on whether it's running on fuel or oil, there is one basic and sure-fire way to kill it. Cut off it's air supply. No fuel, be it diesel, oil, trans fluid, whatever- can burn without air. On all the refinery trucks now they have a butterfly valve plumbed into the intake, and a sensor to detect high levels of hydrocarbons in the air. That way if there is a major gas or fuel leak at the refinery, the diesel engines won't run away, blow up, and cause an explosion. I watched a generator service tech save a run away cummins generator once by dumping a full CO2 fire extinguisher into the intake. Fuel needs oxygen to burn, so cut off the oxygen and the engine will stop.

For peace of mind it wouldn't be that hard to rig up a CO2 fire extinguisher in the cab of the truck, and have it plumbed out to the intake. If the biscuits hit the fan you can reach down, pull the pin and push the lever down and dump a bunch of non-combustible gas down the beast's throat.

That is, if you've got your wits about you... Me personally, I would probably be in "my happy place" and getting my thoughts in order and confessing my sins... :sly

Hmmm....ya C02 or Argon any inert gas extinguisher would suffice, the question is how big of an extinguisher would it take to ***** it out?

Interesting idea though for sure!

I agree I'd likely be um....in same position confessing sins and muddying my drawers.....simultaneously.....rofl

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm....ya C02 or Argon any inert gas extinguisher would suffice, the question is how big of an extinguisher would it take to ***** it out?

Interesting idea though for sure!

I agree I'd likely be um....in same position confessing sins and muddying my drawers.....simultaneously.....rofl

Haha you guys are funny. It would indeed get the adrenaline pumping if that happened to me. It would be like the 4th of July happening on the side of the road if the engine popped

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the oil was overfull there you go, why do you people keep insisting otherwise? :dunno Oil is unregulated fuel so obviously it's gonna rev to high hell without a care in the world. It's the same as oil coming in through a bad turbo seal.

For 6500 you could've bought another a truck.

If you want to replicate the issue again, toss another gallon of oil in it.

Because the key off did finally kill it. If it was sucking oil, it wouldn't matter if the key was on or off, it's gonna suck it right up and burn it. That was my concern with the shops theory from the get go. Spoke with jasper today and they said the same thing, it's not the oil. They had the truck brought back to the shop that installed it and will be walking them through some tests they want to run on it.

For 6500 i could have probably bought someone elses problems with x amount of miles, and x amount of abuse. You never know what you're getting when you buy used, i was done taking that gamble. Now i got a truck with the majority of major components fresh for under 10k. Got the truck for free, so spending 10k on a fresh rig isn't all that silly.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always figure i'm better off fixing my rig than buying a different rig. Warhog I'm completely onboard with your line of thought. Interested to see how the shop stands behind this.

I'll have 10K in my crewcab when I finally get it back on the road. Not to mention the intial purchase price or price of repairs I did before I tore it down. Now you'd look at that and I could have bought a different truck. But I'd be buying some crewcab diesel with probably 130K miles on it and still don't have any guarentees. Atleast when i'm done with my truck it's probably going to be the closes thing to a new truck I'll have ever owned.

91F350idi

Cody S.
Reaction score
This is pretty scary. Now my mind is rollin on an emergency fuel shutoff valve.LOL Anybody ever done anything like that? If you installed an electric valve in the fuel line pre-lift pump and ran it to a button or switch somewhere that you could reach in an emergency, wouldnt it instantly shut the truck down?

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is pretty scary. Now my mind is rollin on an emergency fuel shutoff valve.LOL Anybody ever done anything like that? If you installed an electric valve in the fuel line pre-lift pump and ran it to a button or switch somewhere that you could reach in an emergency, wouldnt it instantly shut the truck down?

That will help ONLY if your your engine happens to have a "diesel fuel related" runaway. If your engine has a crankcase oil runaway, that emergency fuel shutoff won't do squat.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This makes me scared to drive my truck, haha. Glad no one was hurt! Sounds like one hell of a ride.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would an exhaust brake mounted in the intake shut down a runaway?

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would an exhaust brake mounted in the intake shut down a runaway?

If the exhaust brake was mounted correctly on intake and the butterfly had ability to seal the tube shut properly, it would work. It may need some fab work to get it to work properly but good idea. Lot's of the old 2 stroke detroits had something similar to this because they were very prone to runaway. I know a guy who used to have an old rig with the detroit in her. He said he put many hundreds of thousands of miles on his truck and it decided to runaway from him only one time. Started up the truck one morning to warm up, went in the house to get his coffee and it ran away. He ran back out to truck and pulled the emergency air shutoff and it never did it again. Those engines have tempers from time to time lol.

Kalashnikov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Because the key off did finally kill it. If it was sucking oil, it wouldn't matter if the key was on or off, it's gonna suck it right up and burn it. That was my concern with the shops theory from the get go. Spoke with jasper today and they said the same thing, it's not the oil. They had the truck brought back to the shop that installed it and will be walking them through some tests they want to run on it.

For 6500 i could have probably bought someone elses problems with x amount of miles, and x amount of abuse. You never know what you're getting when you buy used, i was done taking that gamble. Now i got a truck with the majority of major components fresh for under 10k. Got the truck for free, so spending 10k on a fresh rig isn't all that silly.

Guess I missed the part where the key shut it off. :oops:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
One other possibility, it started acting up after you fueled it up, right? At the shop I used to work for, we had a runaway one time. My foreman had to put it in 5th and let out the clutch while holding the brakes. The customer only bought a long block from us so we used his IP. Afterward, I pulled the top off the pump. The fuel was actually clear. I could see a few little beads of what looked like water rolling around at the bottom of the IP. We put on a reman IP and no problems. Possibly your problem is related?