diesel noobs 85 f350 project thread

Cooper

Reaction score
Have plenty of experience with gasoline engines (even performance turbo & fab stuff), but this is my first experience with working on a diesel... so any tips/advice is welcome (i'm still working my way through the extensive faq/newbie threads, very impressed with the wealth of knowledge on the forums :Thumbs Up )

1985 F350
2wd
dana 70 dually
5 speed trans (zf5?)
Dump bed

So I just dove into fixing an inherited dump truck from the family farm and decided to do a project thread, mainly because i've read countless build threads over the years, and thought it would be fun to document my own for once. Would love to eventually go to a turbo setup, and actually have a lead on a cheap (i think?) complete 7.3 idi turbo engine if it is needed. Mainly just want a reliable towing / work rig for occasional use, and the dump bed could come in handy at times as well (hoping the PTO wont require too much work).

I was actually the last person to drive the vehicle in ~1998... I was 14yo at the time, and any adults that were around then have since passed... As best I can remember, It was a very hard start with lots of cranking, once started, ran poorly and died often. Next day, lots of cranking no fire, batts died, truck got parked along the back fence and never moved in the ~18 years since.

Fast forward to 2016 Vehicle looked a lot worse than it actually is/was, some surface rust but overall very solid. Hood only had primer on it, which explains the rust there (but i think that is the popular look now?). Interior (blue vinyl bench) is in great shape. Havent looked into the wiring (which is a serious concern due to rats that had made their way into the cab over the years). The truck was buried up to the axle/lower a-arms and required a backhoe to get it drug out/unearthed. Today i was finally able to get the rear brakes un-seized (in an rather unconventional way), so truck is now rolling without rear shoes. The front disc surprisingly work perfectly and will suffice for towing to the shop building and troubleshooting. Tomorrow i plan to buy/borrow batteries. change fluids, and potentially try to fire the engine..? any tips/advice would be helpful, although i've already learned/learning plenty from the faq.

--I would love some help identifying the trans. i know the 4 spd was swapped out in favor of a 5 speed at ~1995ish. From what I can remember the trans has a very low granny gear... Is it likely to be a zf5? was this a common swap? what should i look for while trying to identify the trans? i'll snap some pics tomorrow if need be.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images

the rear brakes were hell, wheel cylinder was stuck on and the adjuster was froze up and impossible to move through the adjustment hole. Took drastic measures once i found the new replacement drums for ~25$ a piece.

more pics to come.

Last edited:

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
welcome to the forum.
and thank you for taking the time to read the faq's and related material like everyone "SHOULD"

your pics are not showing up, edit the thread and reload em'

most likely a ZF5.

while build threads are great for showing off your truck and work,
its also great for documentation.
ive gone through mine countless times and used pics as reference for different parts of the build.

bringing back a family aire-loom is priceless!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
WElcome to the forum. You will find so much help here is might be impossible to choose what to listen to. But no worries. This forum is based on helping owners keep their rigs running correctly.
Without knowing more about the fuel system condition its hard to point you in the correct direction to make it run. Here are some suggestion.
The fuel tanks usually have the broken off suction heads. So the last 1/4 tank of fuel is not being sucked out.
Next is how was the maintenance on the fuel system kept. Do you see fuel leaking from the return lines on the injectors.
When was the fuel filter last changed.
Were the injectors or the injection pump ever changed.
What condition are the battery cables and ends in. When the batteries are charged up how fast does the engine kick over during the starting cranking. If this starter has done lots of long cranking to fire the engine is probably is failing. We recommend cranking for 20 seconds max and allowing a 2 minute rest for the starter to cool down. If this is the original starter it is the direct drive and will crank slowly. Suggestion is to replace it with a gear reduction starter. There are many posts about what has been used here with great results.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
welcome to the forum.
and thank you for taking the time to read the faq's and related material like everyone "SHOULD"

most likely a ZF5.

while build threads are great for showing off your truck and work,
its also great for documentation.
ive gone through mine countless times and used pics as reference for different parts of the build.

bringing back a family aire-loom is priceless!

They are also a good way to stay motivated on a long project so you can see how far you have come.

Welcome and we like lots of pictures! ;Sweet

Cooper

Reaction score
welcome to the forum.

Fixed the pics, and i've been around enough car/truck forums over the years to know better than to start posting without reading the stickies.

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum ;Sweet

It's most likely a ZF5 transmission.
That's the kind of vehicles I always resurrect you have me beat on how longs it's been sitting tho LOL
Be prepared for a long and expensive journey but well worth it in the end. My 85 sat for 8 years still working on her though. Is the 7.3T engine your looking at by any chance in Houston I think the price is $600?

Oh and we love pics lots and lots of pics.

Cooper

Reaction score
WElcome to the forum. You will find so much help here is might be impossible to choose what to listen to. But no worries. This forum is based on helping owners keep their rigs running correctly.
Without knowing more about the fuel system condition its hard to point you in the correct direction to make it run. Here are some suggestion.
The fuel tanks usually have the broken off suction heads. So the last 1/4 tank of fuel is not being sucked out.
Next is how was the maintenance on the fuel system kept. Do you see fuel leaking from the return lines on the injectors.
When was the fuel filter last changed.
Were the injectors or the injection pump ever changed.
What condition are the battery cables and ends in. When the batteries are charged up how fast does the engine kick over during the starting cranking. If this starter has done lots of long cranking to fire the engine is probably is failing. We recommend cranking for 20 seconds max and allowing a 2 minute rest for the starter to cool down. If this is the original starter it is the direct drive and will crank slowly. Suggestion is to replace it with a gear reduction starter. There are many posts about what has been used here with great results.

So i had planned to drain the tanks and start fresh, but i've heard from a reliable (albeit redneck) source that the old diesel doesnt really go bad and it shouldnt need to be replaced? I plan to pull the tanks anyways just to figure out what they look like and make sure it doesnt cause problems further down the road... could have been what sidelined the truck to begin with (but my bet is on injector pump/injectors).

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Where in Texas are you? I have a Parts truck 86 in(sig)
if you need any parts or help give me a shout.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fixed the pics, and i've been around enough car/truck forums over the years to know better than to start posting without reading the stickies.

as have i, that being said, this forum has something other forums do not.
an excellent marketplace.
and the members here are trust worthy!
you get what you pay for.
and these members, often hoard those hard to find parts and will part with them for a decent price.

that hood, was that "patina" primer? lol
its screamin for some 80 grit on a DA, but overall nice rig!

Cooper

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum ;Sweet
Is the 7.3T engine your looking at by any chance in Houston I think the price is $600?

nope, its a local engine, same price though. :thumbsup:

Theres another on craigslist i've found for 600$ but i believe its a t444e? which is something i might consider but havent researched much (even though it doesnt have as much mod support as the psd, the pcm mounted on the engine is quite attractive/simplistic) ... but i'd like to keep it simple and stick to the IDI if possible. I have no need for a race truck, and it will be extremely rare that i tow anything excessively heavy... realistically this truck will probably only get driven a couple times a month, so reliable/simplistic/cheap are my main concerns.

Cooper

Reaction score
as have i, that being said, this forum has something other forums do not.
an excellent marketplace.
and the members here are trust worthy!
you get what you pay for.
and these members, often hoard those hard to find parts and will part with them for a decent price.

that hood, was that "patina" primer? lol
its screamin for some 80 grit on a DA, but overall nice rig!

Hah, as best i can remember the hood was just grey primer. most likely rattle can but whatever it was, it obviously didnt hold up over the last 20 years... Whole truck will probably get some form of paint if i can get it running decently... actually looking forward to painting the bed if the PTO works.

I'm excited to get into the classifieds section... for some reason that is one of my favorite parts when it comes to a project build.

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You may have issues if water got into your intake. It looks like it rusted the top of the air filter. The hold down has a grommet that is supposed to keep water from leaking past it. If it sat for all those years with water inside... I would drain the oil and see what comes out. Nice looking rig.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome

Not going say *** the trans is bazed on a written word.

Get under there and take some pictures inclusive of both sides and pto layout.

For all we know it coukd be a np 5series from med duty ford or or or...so get some pictures...

I hear ya on stuck drums...sometimes a good breaking hammer is required to smash em to bits ...been there done that hated it.

Looks like a fantastic starting point for a good work truck.

Keep up us updated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online