Did I just have an injector stick?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I mentioned a few pages ago... get a oil test done. It’s cheap insurance before you spend the big bucks. It will tell you how much fuel is in your oil or if there’s something else going here.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How long are you waiting after shutdown before checking the oil. We're supposed to check our engines when they're still hot because there sump is deep enough to have a different level when cold. Up to about 1/4" difference is what I remember observing once.

How much did the level appear to climb since the oil change?

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only from the hash mark to the first L in full. But I always check it 5 minutes after shut down.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After my drive home from work it was up to the o in "do" after Full - Do Not Overfill.

So it's going up. Hell with it. Already ordered the pump and injectors from Mel. Really nothing else I can do.

Gotta say, it was nice having someone ask questions when your looking at buying something and not just be content that your buying something and be over it. I've had two good 20 minute conversations with Mel about this mess I'm going through with this thing and despite knowing I needed the parts anyways it was nice to get some explanations as to what's going on. Not that I don't have an ok idea with the help of the collective here either but I'll just be another to attest that he's got a good rep for a reason.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I hardly think the injectors have anything to do with this fuel intrusion into the crankcase. Many of the proposed solutions so far -- with all due respect to everyone -- seem clearly to unrelated to fuel entering the crankcase.

1. Fuel under sufficient pressure or by gravity is evidently entering the crankcase, is this safe to say?

2. Surely an injector which was dumping enough fuel in the cylinder to remain un-burned and thereby bypass the rings would noticeably affect the way the engine runs, would it not? How could it not?

3. Is there a path whereby the injection pump could actually allow part of its fuel supply to leak into the crankcase? If so, then I guess I would go along with the IP perhaps being the problem.

Maybe I missed something in the earlier posts and if I have I apologize for anything inappropriate in the above.

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes, the ip drive shaft.
Nothing inappropriate, but I think you did skip over some posts. Lol

Far as having diesel in there, personally I wouldn't worry about the health of the engine afterwards. How many old timers have filled crankcases with fuel to do a flush? Yeah, a ton.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Joe Blow

Reaction score
Could have popped the seal off the injection pump drive shaft, or some. injectors stuck open when it sits overnight and bleeds off their pressure. My nephew has a 7.3idi with a brand new set of injectors and glow plugs in it. The injection pump is good. He is looking to sell the parts off of it cheap just to get back some of the money he put into it. I ended up doing a cummins swap for him. If anyone need some parts off of it let me know. Good luck with your truck.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could have popped the seal off the injection pump drive shaft, or some. injectors stuck open when it sits overnight and bleeds off their pressure. My nephew has a 7.3idi with a brand new set of injectors and glow plugs in it. The injection pump is good. He is looking to sell the parts off of it cheap just to get back some of the money he put into it. I ended up doing a cummins swap for him. If anyone need some parts off of it let me know. Good luck with your truck.
Where did he buy the fuel parts?

Joe Blow

Reaction score
I'm not sure to be honest. But they have 0 miles on them because it turned out he had 2 cracked heads. So we did the cummins swap instead of putting more money into the idi. I can ask him he lives 3 hours away from me so he tried fixing it on his own.

Alwaysreadyrob

2002 7.3 POWERSTROKE 4x4
Reaction score
What about Conestoga Diesel Injectors ?
I have a 94 turbo IDI ... got it with 128000 miles 5 yrs ago.
It now has 334600 miles on it and i run straight veggie oil in the 7.3, do you think i need new injectors ? Truck goes 85 + on the fwy running straight filtered veggie oil.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well today on incompetent garage I pulled a pump and injectors for the first time ever. The pump makes a loud clicking noise when I spin the input shaft by hand and I can pull the shaft towards me a good 1/8 of an inch. Not sure if either of those are normal things.

You must be registered for see images attach

The injectors- they're a variety of interesting.

1- Delphi bb
2- cav England if bb
3- stanadyne code e
4- not a damn thing on it
5- stanadyne code d
6- Delphi bb
7- not a damn thing on it
8- stanadyne code d

Top row is passenger side. I pulled them two hours after driving the truck to the garage. Cylinder 3 the tip is totally dry as is cylinder 2 on the injection tip. Cylinder 5 was so wet at the bottom it had bubbles forming at the tip and copper ring when I took it out.

The only cylinder that I didnt get out easy was 8 and it leaks like crazy no matter how I tried to put the injector line down on it. The top of it is rusted beyond belief and almost feels crispy.

So I guess now I wait for my new pump and injectors from Mel.

I named the truck Lenny from of mice and men. He keeps accidentally breaking things on me and though it's not his fault if he keeps doing it I'm going to have to kill him.

Last edited:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I have a 94 turbo IDI ... got it with 128000 miles 5 yrs ago.
It now has 334600 miles on it and i run straight veggie oil in the 7.3, do you think i need new injectors ?
I'd say definitely yes. You have over 200,000 miles on them. That's a lot of movement of internal parts. I don't know how the veggie oil affects them, but they're generally known to last around 120,000 miles give or take.