diagnose blown head gasket

coletrain777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are a couple of the best ways to check head gaskets on our idi's? Normally I would do a compression check, but I don't have a gauge that will check that high of psi. I also know that I have a pinhole leak in the radiator so I don't think I can do a radiator cap pressure test??? Just thought I would get a few opinions before I rip into the old girl in a few months.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What problems are you having that makes you think a headgasket is bad?

Typically, it'll pressurize the cooling system, puke coolant, and overheat................. especially when worked hard.

Heath

Maverick1701

Full Access Member
Reaction score
get a tester that tests for exhaust gasses in the coolant. The kit was $25 on ebay and the fluid was like $7 at napa.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
second the combustion gas test kit. Just make sure to remove the CDR and block off the point where it enters the engine. before running the test, then block rad with a chunk of cardboard and run up to operating temp to where you can see coolant circulating before testing. Blowby gasses entering through manifold can give false bad HG reading if faulty intake manifold gasket. so test first with blocked cdr, if reads clean good HG, if fail bad HG or cavitation, , if clean test again with cdr attached, if it fails then bad intake gasket , hint, leave on longer than instructions say, those are for gas engine, diesel is hard to sense. Get the dual chamber tester if possible, hard to contaminate, i for either use a baster etc to remove an inch or so of coolant from rad so not to contaminate test fluid , it will change colour if contaminated with coolant

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online