DI swap

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
alright then, well here is my scenario and what i would like to accomplish with my 2 trucks i have

first off, i have come into possession of a 1995 F250 Extended cab 4x4 DI turbo truck, it has 122k on it, and an E40D transmission. i purchased this truck from a customer that did not want to pay for the parts and labor on the truck. the suspension is of major concern, the trucks a bit grungy and stinky because it has been a quarry work truck. because of this i have no real drive to tag and drive the truck for my use.

my 84 trucks motor is worn out, its in the 200k+ range has blown headgaskets and a host of other motor leaks and problems, as of right now it does not run, it has a C6 and is a 4x4 extended cab long bed like my green machine is. the suspension is very good overal, it needs one hub and a rear leaf, but having the 2nd truck i dont see and issue with those parts.

my idea/goal is to put the di motor & e40dinto my 84 truck, i want the turbo and the DI/e40d for some better power and fuel miledge, i worked my 6.9 to the limit more then a few times and need more 'umpf'. i know i will need to use close to everything off of the DI truck, but i was curious if there would be a way to keep some of my 84 components in tact, such as the dash, heating and cooling system and the insturment cluster.

also, has anyone ever done a similar swap before?

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
I would just fix the 95 up.
other wise next best step, swap cab and alll and keep the psd dassh etc.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you need to swap all the wireing from the headlights to the tail lights,you will need to fab a radiator support,you will also need the 95s rear axle due to the VSS or the speedo wont work and the tranny wont shift right.

easier,quicker and cheaper to fix the 95 or find one that needs a motor

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd fix up the '95 OR do a cab swap. The stink can be cleaned out and the XLT and Lariat goodies can be added if wanted.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
alright, well, would the 95 dash work in the 84 body? looks like it might fit, but i dont know if the extra 'aero' styling in the 95 make the dash a different shape

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the dash will fit but you will also need to swap the inner and outer heater boxes and the wing windows in the doors along with the doorpanels and iside door handle mechanism as well as the door latch.more aggravation than its worth.you will also need to cut a hole in the firewall for the PCM.you will also have to reshape the wireing harness bulkhead hole in the firewall from round to a rectangular shape as well as adding another hole for the taillight wireing.it would be a little easier if you started with a 92-97 cab.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont have a title to the 95 truck though, thats the issue, so that truck is strictly a parts truck, the mounting of everything isnt a problem, i could put the pcm where ever i feel like it, doesnt nessicarly have to be under the dash

i guess this is going to turn into more of a hot rod type project then i bargained for, o well i have the time, space and resources to make this happen

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
o well i have the time, space and resources to make this happen

Really? What happened since I talked to you last? Still at the stealership?
I knew there was a support that would need to be changed. I had core & radiator confused. I think we had talked about the cab swap too. Maybe ditch the blue truck & find a blown motor truck cheap.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya maybe, its hard to find t44e's blown in trucks though, theres a 93 with a idi in it down in aberdeen but i think i might even be able to swap into a truck like that, as long as its the same body style right?

the blue trucks up in dublin right off rt440 a little north of the dump, the stealership did some cleaning of all the junk they had siting around the lot, but my 95 is still there lol

maybe ill just call the guy and tell him to get a duplicate title for the truck, if he doesnt have one for it

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Just keeping 'em clean. I haven't had the nerve to go near 'em with the aircraft stripper yetLOL.

If you can get the PO to submit for a duplicate title, DO IT NOW. That takes a while in MD but would be your best option for path of least resistance.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ya maybe, its hard to find t44e's blown in trucks though, theres a 93 with a idi in it down in aberdeen but i think i might even be able to swap into a truck like that, as long as its the same body style right?

the blue trucks up in dublin right off rt440 a little north of the dump, the stealership did some cleaning of all the junk they had siting around the lot, but my 95 is still there lol

maybe ill just call the guy and tell him to get a duplicate title for the truck, if he doesnt have one for it

but alot easier to do the swap if you start with a 92-94 body as everything will be just a pull this out and put this back in its place deal.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya, but like i was saying, finding a truck with a blown one of those, or even a blown idi 7.3 is like hard to find, these trucks are just loved by most everyone, and i can understand why

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
If you have to swap everything over anyway, could you look for a 92-97 1 ton gasser & do the swap into that? Everything except the electronics would be the same , right? Plenty of gassers around in that body style.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ya you could use a 92-97 gasser as well.i just swapped a 94 gasser cab and nose onto an 88 diesel.had to change all the wireing in the dash.but you will still need to use the PSD headlight harness.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online