Darrin's running hot and burning oil in NE

pafixitman

Reaction score
We used square trade to defend ourselves against a buyer. Cost me a fortune compared to the item (OK, I spent more than the buyer!) but the moderator did rule in favor of the honest party.

SKimballC

Reaction score
I went back and read it all again, and the only thing I would change that you wrote is the bit about it 'feeling like a 5 speed'. It doesn't exactly- it feels like a TC locking up. He doesn't deserve any leeway on this or any other point. Certainly not the whole it-being-your-fault-for-"blowing it up" bit either, like it was some malicious and ignorant act on your part.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a mess. Well, unfortunately Darrin, I guess the law of averages starts to catch up with you. You could execute dozens of excellent ebay transactions, and eventually one goes sour through no fault of your own. I've experienced this myself on a few items. I bought a guitar amp once that the seller said "sounded great". Well, yea, it did, if you turned it up loud enought that you became def to the 60 cycle hum it produced. I complained, but because it was only a couple hundred bucks, I just opted to repair it myself. I still felt bummed that the seller took advantage of me.

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck man!!!! I hope you get it resolved, I got ripped on ebay 3 years ago, bought a "super clean, low miles, well maintained" car. First the airbag light came on, checked it out and started noticing some different welds under the motor mounts... got it on a lift and found that 2 seperate cars were welded together to make one!!! Long story short, I got screwed. Somehow the seller convinced them he had no idea. BTW........ The CARFAX was clean and relected the owners and milage correctly, so I dont put stock in them anymore either. All the best for you!!! I hope you get the partial so you can find a sweet deal on a engine and then mod it out for more power :)

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
There aren't too many things that get me riled up. OK, that's not necessarily true. But lying and deceitfull personal and business practices really burns my @#*. There's no reason for it. Period.

The almighty eBay started out as a great thing, but got infiltrated by dishonesty. I got burned once. I had a seller try to shiste me. I have no tolerance for it and it wasn't much money so I counted it as a loss and left a negative feedback. Boy did that backfire. He retaliated with a negative instead of taking responsibilty. That has come back to haunt me a couple of times. Now if I'm doing business with someone, I research it. If I see a negative, I look to see if it's a common trend or a conflict with one person.

Darrin, good luck with dealing with this person. My hope would be that you get full repayment and get to keep the truck as his punishment.

Tom

adelyser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've gotten burned with Ebay too, but have learned a few tricks. When I'm a buyer, if I got something that wasn't as advertised, or shipping was really, really slow, or some other problem occurred, I don't leave negative or neutral feedback unless the seller has left feedback first, or I'm on the last day of which feedback can be left, which is 90 days. If you leave feedback on the last day, they don't usually have time to retaliate and then they don't get the chance.

I've been reading these posts as progress is made, and it's quite unfortunate things went bad with the truck. I hope it all gets worked out and you end up with a refund to make up for it.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I hope you get some satisfaction out of it, but don't hold your breath.
I bought a little travel trailer a couple of years ago to tow behind my car. the ebay seller listed it has having brakes, being in great shape and everything working properly. He even said he recently tested everything and they were working .All this was stated on his listing.
I drive 1200 miles get there. the thing had a new 7 pin plug, when I hook it up, the brakes wouldn't activate., the wheels were shielded from the underside so not visible what was inside. he came up with a story that something in the wiring inside the trailer had messed up when he moved it.
well it was all flat all the way home, even though the thing was over my tow limit for not having brakes, I took it easy, get home ( after having to re do all the sewage plumbing on the way that was leaking like a sieve , advertised as " working perfectly') Pull the wheels off and lo and behold, that thing had never had brakes on it.And the thing's dry weight was about 900 pounds heavier than he had avertised it as.and I found the 6 pin plug that was not wireid as if brakes were there that he had just cut off before the sale, stuffed in a storage box. It was obvious fraud.
I went round and round with ebay and paypal and they basically told me to **** off.
Then the jerk has the nerve to neg me with retalitory feedback. talk about insult to injury-cuss

Well, the thing was too heavy to pull in the hills without brakes, so I had to sell it, but not before having to rewire more things and replace two roof vents and associated water damage,Rebuild the toilet, replacing all the thermocouples and repairing the refrigerator.

My experience with the buyer protection bits is that they're purely a feel good thing.There's no real function to them.

Good luck---------Robert

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear you got bit Darrin. I'm sure all of us that use ebay enough will eventually get it. On the plus side with the ATS and intercooler you'l still probably sell the truck and make a profit...maybe not enough to compensate you for what a pain it gave you though. But you really have been blessed with an understanding wife! No doubt about that. Good luck getting some compensation from that guy. My opinion is that he knew it was a **** and was happy to be rid of it. Too bad it was at your expense.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Write back to this poor excuse for a human being at tell him it was not as bad as you thought and you have resold it and made a big profit...... Where we have our horses another client bought a horse, trained it for about a year and sold it for $25,000.00 making a good profit. Then it went to the nationals and someone offered the new owner $125,000.00 for the same horse. They wouldn't sell because they wanted the horse and didn't "need" the money. The first owners were trying to give back the check so they could take back the horse and sell it for the big money. See, crappy people are everwhere but Ebay has some of the worst turds.......:backoff

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the comments guys, It doesn't look good for me. The Moderator closed the case,.. here is his closing statment,..

Dear Darrin:

I am sorry to report that Mark has not responded to my attempts to help you both in resolving this problem. He reiterates that you inspected the vehicle and wanted it although it was not the Gearvendor type of transmission you wanted. Additionally, he states that you were aware of the oil problem and any problem resulting from that was your responsibility. I therefore must close the case.

If you have any questions about other options, you can contact [email protected] or [email protected] to discuss what those options might be.

You might also want to visit the ST website to learn about how you might avoid these types of problems in the future.

I am sorry I was not able to help you in this matter, but I thank you for using SquareTrade.

Hal

Juat aonther $100.00 down the drain,....:frustrate

Any Suggestions,.....???

gotta go for now,.

metrojd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So if you dont respond then you can rip every one off and get away with it??
Thats sounds like a great way to do buss.
And to think he thanked you .....
Safe Harbor?????????
Were is it.
Good Luck
John

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shall we flood the sellers inbox with "friendly" emails expressing our opinions about your transaction? Prolly wouldn't get anything done, but it might make you feel better...

Sorry you got a bum deal- that sucks. Hows the engine repair/replacement coming on the truck anyway?

Ryan

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
Could get a lawyer to show up at his door. Small claims court? Send a registered letter asking him to appear in MI? Did he offer in the listing anything about delivery? That would be a big boost.
James

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
screw all that square trade bs.....

next IDI meet I'm hosting in this guy's front yard.

me, Riley, Pat, and our merry band of rednecks.... we're bringing the truck, a banjo, and the catfish skinnin knife.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stubburnjd1

Members online