Dana 70 or Sterling 10.25?

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck originally came with a Dana 60.... and a 460/C6. The only piece of the original drive train left is the transfer case, so keeping it factory correct isn't an issue. If it had come with a diesel, it would have had a Dana70.
Still not sure why it went caput, but I do remember having the driveshaft off a few months ago and being able to rotate the pinion back and forth WAY more than what would seem normal - like probably 30 degrees .

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck originally came with a Dana 60.... and a 460/C6. The only piece of the original drive train left is the transfer case, so keeping it factory correct isn't an issue. If it had come with a diesel, it would have had a Dana70.
Still not sure why it went caput, but I do remember having the driveshaft off a few months ago and being able to rotate the pinion back and forth WAY more than what would seem normal - like probably 30 degrees .

Correction: Your truck came with a Dana 61... which looks the same as a D60 on the outside but is different on the inside.

The distinctions between "Dana 60" and "Dana 61" are important if you are shopping for a "better" different axle and not something that just "fits & works". The D61 and D70U were not the best pieces to roll out of a Dana plant, mostly from a repair and upgrade standpoint, not so much from a operational standpoint. The Sterlings are very consistent all the way thru their various eras and really have many fewer "issues" compared to the D61 or the D70U. There are certain D70Us, thankfully not found in our Fords (as far as I know and according to the books anyway), with a really oddball 31/32" offset. The first gen. Dodge Cummins trucks with 3.07 gears had these abortions, as well as certain '87-90 GM trucks. Changing gears to lower ratios on these units involves mixing and matching ring and pinions, differ offset carriers and even ring gear spacers.

Here is more Data:

Maximum Short term Torque Capacity: Dana 70U= 8000 lbs-ft, Sterling= 8300 lbs-ft
Maximum Sustained Torque Capacity: Dana 70U= 2000 lbs-ft, Sterling 10.25= 2000 lbs-ft

Last edited:

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I figured I would post some more D70 info - I would rather use that axle myself due to the parts interchangeability with the front D60, wider gear ratio choices and MUCH MUCH MUCH cheaper lockers... I also believe the info posted about about the differing offsets is incorrect - thre are very few of those axles around and shouldn't ever be found in an 80's or 90's truck. The D70 has a 10.5" ring gear where the Sterling is 10.25

74 and earlier .500 offset
75-77 mostly .625 offset
78 and newer .625 offset

*70 (.500" pinion offset, used from late 1950's to '71 according to dana) these would likely have the lower spline counts, least desirable
*70-B (.625" offset, '71-82) Probably the most common version. Generally 35 spline, but checking is the only sure way.
*70-U (.625" offset, '82+) There seems to be less of these than the 70-B. Known as the "Teardrop 70" because of it's smooth underside. Shares all bearings with the 60
*70-2U (unknown offset) same pinion and carrier bearings as U, but big wheel bearings.
*70-HD (.625" offset, '68+) These come in big trucks, lots of them out there but many in weird widths.
*70-3HD (.969" offset, '87+) Out of newer trucks, not a lot of low gears available for these ones.
*70-High Pinion (unkown offset, 2000ish+ Kodiak/Top Kick K4500/K5500 fronts) 10 lug high pinion 70, with 1550 joints (a 60 uses 1480) 5.13 gears are the only ones available for these axles.
*70-1SU (.625” offset) Super 70. Little info available, Dana lists only available ratios as 4.10 and 4.56. Teardrop housing and HD tubes and outers.

The D70 HD is lighter, stronger and has more ground clearance than a 14B - which is totally a viable option for a rear axle anyway... Talk about ultra common and strong.

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you lift something verbatum from another site (Pirate 4x4) it's best to quote the source so the guy that did all the work can get some of the credit.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
I had a d61 in my 83f250. Had3.07 gears. Easy way to tell a Dana axle is the number is always cast into the housing normally around one of the fins on the front.

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure, I see your point. It isn't copyrighted or anything and I've contributed to it, so meh. Nice contribution, stick in the mud...

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since you want to adopt a pissy attitude because you got busted, I have something else to say.

I brought that up because the way you presented that info made it seem like you had done the work to put it together. Maybe you were and maybe you weren't. It's done all the time on the internet but that doesn't make it right. With my info, I took the time to look it up (out of actual books) and type the info myself rather than hit Control C, Control V and swagger off like a hero. You can't copyright information but you can copyright the way it's presented (the words the original creator used to present the info). I still say that if a guy like the Pirate 4x4 author takes the time to research and compile all that great info, he deserves to get credit for it whenever and wherever possible. His work on that post was notable enough that I remembered instantly where I had seen it before. Since you knew where it came from, it would have been easy and stand-up to say, "I got this from Pirate 4x4.com" or somesuch.

Why is this an issue to me? I have copyrighted material ripped off from me all the time. Sometimes people even take my photos and material and make money off it. That both ****** me off and costs me money. Not "Meh" to me, any more than if someone was getting paid for the hours you worked. You wouldn't be saying "Meh" to that.

Sorry to all for the brief hijack... back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's true. I see a lot of my own words cut and posted to other boards without a quote, but hey, that's the price of being famous I guess. Be that as it may, this is an excellent discussion, and I'd like to see us continue in the vein of technical facts on which we started.

One thing that is of interest to me, is if it would be possible to put a Sterling wheel hub/drum on a Dana 70 axle. If so, we could potentially upgrade our hard to service D70's and D61's for the better removable drum of the Sterling. I've heard a rumour that this was true, and have not yet had the opportunity to try it, but I may.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My question is can 3.08s from the front of a 4x4 dodge be bolted into the back of a ford dana 61.

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The D70 HD is lighter, stronger and has more ground clearance than a 14B - which is totally a viable option for a rear axle anyway... Talk about ultra common and strong.

And super EASY to rebuild/setup.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting to hear so much negative about the Dana axle. I have always heard good things about Danas, and the only real issue I'd hear with either in these trucks in the Sterlings having loose pinion nut problems. Learn something new everyday I guess....

Both of my 85 F-250HD trucks (early to mid 85) came with the D70 rear. I think it's a D70-2U, but would have to check. The smooth housing D70.

Another point is that the Sterlings have that odd racheting nut setup on the wheel bearings so you need the 2 prong socket to work on them. D70s are just a big hex, and you *could* take them off with a hammer and punch if you had to.

I like the D70 simply because of the smooth center section being nicer for offroading. Brakes are a PIA, yes, but the fix to that is rear discs.... someday.

I think that really, either one will work fine on these trucks.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A new point has now been brought up;
I've seen disc conversions for the Sterling, and wasn't that impressed with the setup.
Is there a disc brake conversion for the Dana 70? That could sway my decision.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did a little research.
Disc brake conversions are available for both rear ends; same parts, just different caliper mounting brackets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online