Cummins swap overrated?

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My opinion is free, and it's worth every cent:

If you want a 1000 lb/ft engine and $$$ is no object, go with a Cummins.
If you want a reliable, good-running diesel that will get you and your trailer/cargo/whatever where you need to go, go with what Ford put in your truck.

However, at some point I think a Cummins swap would be a great project, but not because I need a 1000 lb/ft motor. Just for something fun to do.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys are all talking 500hp and 1000 tq out of a cummins to make it something you'd want. A very average Cummins with 250ish hp and 500 or so tq will put a smile on your face compared to an IDI. If you haven't towed anything with a Cummins, you owe it to yourself to give it a try. You may become a believer. I doubt my truck is making much over 200 hp and 500 tq, but it runs really nice and pulls quite well.
Travis..

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i didnt read every post but

the cummins swap is mainly for the power you can get out of them without going broke or blowing it up.honestly if i knew then what know now about the psd and cummins i wouldve gone straight to a cummins swap instead of all the work i did to the psd.i wouldve spent alot less if i went the cummins route.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When and if I get the money and find a good one I wanna swap a dt360 in mine. That would be the only swap I'd consider.

if youre gonna go through the trouble of fitting a dt in it,why not stuff a dt530 in it?the computer/idm is mounted to the side of the engine so all you really need is a power wire to turnon/shut off the computer.them 530s move stock,id love to see one juiced up!:eek:

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
A 530, ok if you can get it to start...LOL....We have one at work that won't start at +7C:rotflmao.....Another pain in my ass, needs some diagnostics and probably a new HUEI pump when I get to it.:rolleyes:

I like my IDI's but I want a beast and a Cummins is easy and cheap to turn up. Everytime I walk buy this sitting on my shop floor I talk sweet to it and tell it that "your time is coming soon".....:sly:rotflmaocookoo

You must be registered for see images attach

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A 530, ok if you can get it to start...LOL....We have one at work that won't start at +7C:rotflmao.....Another pain in my ass, needs some diagnostics and probably a new HUEI pump when I get to it.:rolleyes:

got one word for ya............ether!!had one here that wouldnt start all winter.actually a year and half weve been starting it on ether.a few hings i found contributing to it not starting was the ICP sensor,the gasket fot the h pressure oil rail leaking,hpop line leaking.but it still wasnt getting fuel.i think that was due to the sending units in both tanks not working.

dukedrummer89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmmm... good arguements... but im young, i want something different with lots of power, and the exhaust note of a cummins coming out of some dual miters makes my day....

then again my buddy has a 86 6.9 and I had more fun plowing with that thing this winter;Sweet

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Ether, that's a "no no" at WM so we go through cases of Mack brake cleaner instead....Nobody ever questions those purchases.:D:rotflmao.....I'm not a fan of the HUEI design, not in a cold climate anyways....I suspect this 530 needs some HUEI work and maybe a cam sensor as well...The fuel return check valve at the rear of the head could be ******* too.....Put it on my list, right behind the 60 other piles of junk I work on daily.:rotflmao

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hmmm... good arguements... but im young, i want something different with lots of power, and the exhaust note of a cummins coming out of some dual miters makes my day....

thats one thing that kept me away from the cummins.they are way to freakin loud even with a muffler on them.

IH_444

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you haven't towed anything with a Cummins, you owe it to yourself to give it a try. You may become a believer.
I know 12v's are generally better, but I rode in a 24V cummins pulling a loaded car trailer and honestly, my 300 I6 F150 can tow it every bit as good.
Cummins are long lasting and have decent torque, but nowhere near fast. A stock K1500 with a TBI 350 will beat a 24V, even with a small chip, in street racing.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys are all talking 500hp and 1000 tq out of a cummins to make it something you'd want. A very average Cummins with 250ish hp and 500 or so tq :D will put a smile on your face :D compared to an IDI. If you haven't towed anything with a Cummins, you owe it to yourself to give it a try. You may become a believer. I doubt my truck is making much over 200 hp and 500 tq, but it runs really nice and pulls quite well.
Travis..

Very well spoken. ;Sweet

bird hunter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments. I guess if I wanted a Cummins I'd just go buy a Dodge. If I ever had the need for real big power and had the time and money I'd probably try something different like the DT 360 or 466. But I just don't see that happening as I only haul average loads relatively infrequently.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I know 12v's are generally better, but I rode in a 24V cummins pulling a loaded car trailer and honestly, my 300 I6 F150 can tow it every bit as good.
Cummins are long lasting and have decent torque, but nowhere near fast. A stock K1500 with a TBI 350 will beat a 24V, even with a small chip, in street racing.

That same K1500 will beat an IDI in a street race even one that's turbo'd...

I test drove a lot of trucks before I made the jump to the Nanny Goat, and in stock form both the 12v and 24v aren't all that impressive - heck an IDI and a 7.3 PSD leave something to be desired in stock form in my opinion.

Now the 6.0 PSD in stock form - I have driven one of those and I don't think I would turn it up - 1st they don't seem to last when cranked up, but they do pretty good on the power in stock form, I know how Snicklas's runs and it's pretty decent - it actually has more power than my buddies 99 24V with the Edge Juice/attitude in my opinion. And I've been behind the wheel of both of them and laid into both of them. They run probably pretty close on accel from what I could tell.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
I love the idi's so don't take this the wrong way, but I'll take the Cummins with the VE pump hands down. For me it is well worth the time and effort. I like the power curve, they are easy to work on in the engine bay, with a little more fuel and a good turbo they put out a LOT of reliable power and they still get incredible fuel mileage to name a few. Aside from the cost of the engine itself 12valve swaps don't cost all that much if you can weld, fabricate and handle a little parts searching.

Here are two of my brothers trucks. Other than the cost of the motor and trans the only thing it took was the time to build the motor mounts and hook up all the accessories. 5.9 6BT (factory water to air intercooler) and C6 trans all from a school bus. With the gear vendors this thing really cruises ;Sweet

Again just the cost of the motor and trans. The truck originally came with a GM NV4500 so the (slightly stronger) Dodge version bolted right up t-case and all. We made some motor mounts and it all turned out really nice and clean.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Not if both are towing a travel trailerLOL I don't claim my truck to be fast, but it will 100% out-pull my dad's truck, hands down no bull.
Travis..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online