Cummins swap overrated?

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cummins? Loud? My IDI drowns mine out with ease.
If you think that 350 Chevy is more impressive than *insert X diesel here* don't forget that that half ton is a good 2-3000 lbs lighter than an IDI or a Cummins truck.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
That same K1500 will beat an IDI in a street race even one that's turbo'd...

I test drove a lot of trucks before I made the jump to the Nanny Goat, and in stock form both the 12v and 24v aren't all that impressive - heck an IDI and a 7.3 PSD leave something to be desired in stock form in my opinion.

Now the 6.0 PSD in stock form - I have driven one of those and I don't think I would turn it up - 1st they don't seem to last when cranked up, but they do pretty good on the power in stock form, I know how Snicklas's runs and it's pretty decent - it actually has more power than my buddies 99 24V with the Edge Juice/attitude in my opinion. And I've been behind the wheel of both of them and laid into both of them. They run probably pretty close on accel from what I could tell.

One big thing to keep in mind with this comparison is the vehicle they are in.... the 99 24v is an Extended Cab 4x4 with a topper and the 6.0 is in a 03 Excursion, and at the time that Trav was driving it, we were camping there were 6 people in the Ex and the cargo area was full of supplies and firewood.... I think we were probally pushing 11K lbs at the time.... I have driven the Nanny Goat, and it had power to spare and was reliable..... the only issues that truck gave him with all the power was the Transmission, I believe the day it left, it had 318+k miles on it....... and got great economy.

I don't know if the swap is overrated, I have driven all 3, and I plan on having an IDI in the future..... I agree, it is all what you are looking for..... The IDI is "cheap and reliable" and that is what is already in there, and if there is nothing major with the block, it can be rebuilt fairly cost effectivly.... the Cummins is powerful and reliable, but you have to put it in there..... and that costs $$$$ even if you have a doner..... time is money......

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Comparing a tbi Chevy or a 300 straight 6 Ford to a diesel? I let my cousin borrow my idi to tow a 3000lb boat about 60 miles. He wound up doing 80mph because he was not used to the torque a diesel generates at highway speeds. This was a bone stock natural IDI. The Ford 300 may take you off the line but it runs out of juice at 45mph, and what a pos for fuel economy!!!! Any kind of work load will net you single digit mpg's. My only brand new truck was a 1994 f150 2wd, 300-6, 5 speed. Empty: 17mpg's. Ladder racks and 1000lbs of tools: 9mpg

As for the Chevy, yeah, a tbi 350 is peppy and has a very good reputation. A local heavy highway contractor had a mechanic that was a Chevy guy. They had over 75 3/4 and 1 ton trucks of which four were Fords, the rest bowties. Not a single Chevy smallblock could make a hundred thousand miles without puking its guts out. Cranks just letting go at 85k miles was very common. All of these trucks were loaded to their max gvw every day. They had a matching set of three f250 IDI utility bodys. The lowest odometer reading? 475,000 miles up to 650,000 miles. They started to go 50,000 miles between oil changes to try and blow up the IDI's cuz they made the Chevys look so bad.

Comparing an idi or a Cummins to these gassers is like comparing a canoe to a barge. Many people run their trucks around empty with no more than their butts in the drivers seat. The straight six or tbi motors may be fine for this. I am unwaivering in my beleif that they will fail miserably when compared to a diesel in a heavy work environment. Zero to sixty is not a good measuring stick in this situation

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Comparing a tbi Chevy or a 300 straight 6 Ford to a diesel?

Comparing an idi or a Cummins to these gassers is like comparing a canoe to a barge. Many people run their trucks around empty with no more than their butts in the drivers seat. The straight six or tbi motors may be fine for this. I am unwaivering in my beleif that they will fail miserably when compared to a diesel in a heavy work environment. Zero to sixty is not a good measuring stick in this situation

You make a very good point. ;Sweet

gatorman21218

Reaction score
yes it is. I dont care if my truck has an 9 second 0-60 time like some cummins guys do, or any non idi guy likes. i want a truck that is reliable and has the guts to make it to 60mph with a 4 ton trailer and a 1 ton load in the bed. if I wanted a street racer I would get a mustang

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
The key thing to remember is that a 460 may pull better than an IDI but for how long?....It won't outlast the IDI - that's for sure.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online