Cummins swap check list.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I was wondering if some of the Cummins swappers here could give me a rough list of what you used in the swap? My engine is a 1995 12V P-pumped from a Ford school bus and it's going in my 1992 F350 cab and chassis 4x4. The engine was rebuilt in 2005 buy a reputable local engine shop. I have some IDI rad's here and I intend to buy an adapter plate to keep the BBF ZF in place as it is...I think I need a Dodge flywheel to go with the adapter....I have a mint ZF clutch here as well. I'm mostly concerned about what you used for an intercooler, engine mounts, oil pan and etc....The rest I'll fabricate myself. I haven't seen the engine yet, my buddy is brokering the deal through a friend of his...I put a deposit on it last week....I'm going to do some performance mods to the engine before it goes in....Fuel plate, bigger injectors, killer dowel pin mod, head studs and possibly a bigger turbo among others. We'll see how fat my wallet is...:rolleyes:

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
A checklist? time

You cannot be in a hurry with any swap because there will always be little hangups.

It sounds like you have everything setup driveline-wise. One last thing to consider in that department is if your motor mounts will move the t-case back. If so, you might need to alter shifters/linkage and d-shafts. And move the crossmember back. Also if you go big in the power department, your drivetrain might not survive. I am planning on pushing about 500hp/1ktq when everything performance-wise is done and I opted for an upgraded input shaft for mu transmission as the stock ones can twist off from that kind of power. I will also be running all 1410 d-shafts.

I cannot help much with the IC because I am not using any stock dodge stuff there.

If you are sticking with the stock lift pump plumbing should be simple, if not, consider an Airdog or FASS pump/filtration setup.

Clutch stuff should be the same as you are keeping the ZF.

Throttle... I dumped all the dodge crap as I needed the room and not the TPS and make a custom linkage out of little heim joints and threaded rods. Brakes... whether vacuum or hydroboosted, it is just a question of plumbing.

The big thing is mounts I guess. Mines put the engine where the pan sat fine above the crossmember w/o modification. The engine is also forward enough so that you can actually service the last valve cover. That did not leave me with much room up front so I am in the process of pushing the core support forward to make room for my Taurus fans.

As far as electronics I am useless 'cause I stripped the whole dash and the dodge stuff from the motor and am doing everything from scratch.

Let me know if you need any specifics... this should get you started.

stonecrusher

Reaction score
I would got to a south bend clutch If I were building that motor, because we have one that is pretty close to what you are building and it detonated the stock clutch that was fairly new , to much power so we went to a dual disk south bend

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Yep if You want to put that much power to the ground I would use a good clutch and Pete at sb seems to know this stuff pretty well. I bought the engine mounts at fordcummins and they hold well for now but I don't really like the design, now destrocked or autoworld have them too but their price sounded ridiculous to Me. Of course keep the ford rad and for IC I would use a 7.3l psd METAL one, don't use the ones with plastic headers. The rest is simple, the engine fits in there just fine :D. Oh and I kept the ford fuel filter head and sensors, the one on the cummins have a bad reputation and looked too small to Me.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I have an intercooler here from a Freightliner M2 that had a Mercedes 900 in it.....I will probably make my own mounts as I want to see if I can make the engine fit with the air compressor in place. I have a deal going for a used Dodge flywheel....It won't be until atleast spring before I start the swap, I need to finish my 63 Mercury first and gather up more swap parts.

stonecrusher

Reaction score
The parts from ford cummins are good but I wouldn't let them install anything from what I have heard. Destroked's parts a little better quality metals and engineering. Autoworld actually does the installations for Destroked because we did the transfermation in an 03 super duty that had the 6.0 pile under the hood. Autoworld actually walked us through all of the wiring and faxed us everything we didn't have and we ended up doing a couple more trucks for them that belonged to local guys from around here.....I basically comes down to you get what you pay for as it is with everything else

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Other than the adapter from Destroked I will be fabricating everything else to suit my needs and desires.....The engine is from a school bus so there are quite a few different adaptations then a 5.9 from a Dodge.

averagef250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have parted and overhauled quite a few 5.9's from Ford chassis and there are lots of differences from the dodge motors. Most of the ford chassis engines are shot by 150K. They get the **** run out of them at 26K in most applications. You will need a dodge oil pan and pickup tube. The Ford pan holds 5 gallons and is too tall in the middle. Destroked parts are the better quality. Fordcummins stuff is poor.

I have a dodge 5.9 in my 89 F-350 DRW 12' frame cab chassis 4x4 with a diesel ZF using a destroked plate. I went to a 97 powerstroke front clip for more room for the intercooler and the fit is pretty good. I fit an F800 single piston Bendix compressor on the engine with the ZF power steering pump and added hydroboost. The compressor was quite a bit of work since it's in the same place as the driver side motor mount should be and it also requires a support in the rear so it doesn't break the timing cover. I used an intercooler from an F800 with an 8.3. I built most of the core support from scratch. Use a dodge exhaust manifold too if you can find one. The ford/freightliner rear mount manifolds really seam to hurt power on these things. For turbo I kept the HX35 and added a 16CM non-wastegated housing and 4 straight out in front of the tire since I couldn't fit the pipe past the rear tank.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
For now I need to get it in there even if it's bone stock other than the Dodge swap parts and KDP mod. I'm going to sell the compressor - I don't need it bad enough to go through all the extra work to make the motor mounts. I have a 30 gallon mobile gas powered compressor already.
I have a Freightliner M2 air to air here already, it looks like a good fit for the 92-96 front clip. Once I have the truck running and as money allows I will be doing some upgrades as you noted above - pump mods, 50-90HP injectors, the turbine housing and possibly an aftermarket exhaust manifold...300-350HP is all I want twisting my gasser ZF...LOL....I'm searching around here for the following:
Dodge oil pan and pickup tube
harmonic balancer (mine is missing)
the fuel filter housing is missing too
intake heater setup

I'm going with the old school pull cable setup for the FSS - no expensive solenoids for me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wheelsrollin