Cummins - Cold Idle Haze?

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys...

Just wanted to get your opinions...

I finally finished my exhaust tonight and when I started it up (had been sitting for 4 hrs and had only been driven about 5 minutes prior to that 4 hrs), it was hazing at idle. I've never noticed this before..

My current mix is about 20% W90 and 80% #2 diesel with powerservice winter blend klean diesel.

Is cold idle hazing normal running a wmo blend? The truck drives great and isnt under powered at all.. doesnt have any issues starting, etc... cant tell a difference between pump diesel and the current blend in how its running...

Input? Are there any adjustments to be made that would help or should I be concerned at all? I don't care about the smoke... just want to make sure its not causing an issue.

Thanks guys
-Chris

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
Seth's truck (red/white 95 Fummins) smokes a lot at idle and he recently put new injectors in it. I think part of it is because he doesn't have a way to bump the idle up and the thing will barely stay running for the first few minutes.

I would try to rig up some kind of idle up like the IDIs have when its cold and not worry about it. The smake doesn't bother my truck and it smokes a lot at idle...

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Small update...

Decided to top off the tank tonight... wanted to thin it down a bit with RUG... so ~1 gallon of rug... 4 gallons of wmo (which had about 3 gallons of rug added to the 45gallon drum... so its actually w93ish)

Anyways... that 5 gallons with 5 gallons of pump diesel which topped off the tank... took it for a drive.

This thing hazes like an SOB at idle... yes its 40 degrees outside but the truck was warm and I had just driven the ever loving balls off of it to clear things out a bit... back home and sitting in the driveway... the idle haze is VERY noticeable

Planning on picking up a plate heat exchanger to preheat the fuel a bit... also need to bump the timing up which maybe I can get done this weekend...

other then that... are there any mods to do that will decrease the haze and allow for a cleaner burn? Now that I'm at a 50/50 blend... I dont want to go under this even when cold out...

The smell isnt as bad as I expected... kinda smells like a city bus

Anyways... keep in mind this is a 4bta Cummins... no cold start aids other then a block heater

How much would bumping the timing up help?

Thanks guys
-Chris

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright guys.... 2 tanks of straight d2... a bottle of diesel kleen.... still hazing grey all the time... no matter if its cold or not... an I gonna have to pull the injectors to get them clean or what?

Should I be worried about it yet?

I'm just wanting to get it cleaned up so I can see if my plate heat exchanger and a timng bump will get a clean burn...

Thanks guys
-Chris

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I think I got it taken care of...

My fuel lines are easy to get to... so I made up some long lines that I could hook directly to the motor... mixed a half gallon of fresh diesel with a can of seafoam and a few ounces of diesel kleen in a little 2 gallon fuel can... put the hoses in the can and let it run... which it took near an hour... then shut it down, hooked up the stock lines, and took it for a hard drive...

When I got home, it seemed to be burning clean again. Much easier then pulling the injectors and only cost a few bucks

-Chris

gearhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My old cummins would haze/smoke with diesel kleen in the tank,so bad that I got pulled over for it once.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle