Crew Cab Update..... No photo's...Sorry

justcuz

Reaction score
Kind of interesting, most engine rebuild kits for gas engines assume you will deck the block and the replacement pistons are usually 20 thousandths shorter than stock pistons. How much would it cost to have your stock pistons milled as opposed to buying new? Seems like the secret to getting reliable power out of an IDI is to bring the compression down 2 or 3 points and increase the boost. Now would be the perfect time to do it if the bores are fine and the pistons were undamaged.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They were supposed to square deck the block. Don't know if that's what happend or not.

If the 6.9 lets me down again, I'm going to the way bike-maker has and the V8 will be swapped for an IH DT360.:eek:

Heath

Measuring the block alone for deck height is a lot easier said than done. It's possible with a set of 12'' or 24" calipers, but it's really hard to get an accurate measurement. Most shops I have seen assemble the crank and the corner rods / pistons (without rings) and measure from the deck surface to the piston. So you might want to question the shop to see what kind of measuring they really did.

Heath, I'm obviously sold on the DT360 swap, but wouldn't a 466 in an old crew cab be even cooler?:sly

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
They were supposed to square deck the block. Don't know if that's what happend or not. The "specification" sheet on the pistons says "destroked .010 inch.":dunno:D

I certainly hope so man. If the 6.9 lets me down again, I'm going to the way bike-maker has and the V8 will be swapped for an IH DT360.:eek:

Heath

at least it's staying IH powered! ;Sweet

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Measuring the block alone for deck height is a lot easier said than done. It's possible with a set of 12'' or 24" calipers, but it's really hard to get an accurate measurement. Most shops I have seen assemble the crank and the corner rods / pistons (without rings) and measure from the deck surface to the piston. So you might want to question the shop to see what kind of measuring they really did.

Heath, I'm obviously sold on the DT360 swap, but wouldn't a 466 in an old crew cab be even cooler?:sly
I'll definately pick their brains as to how it was done. The '86 crew cab is too "special" to cut up for a DT466. A DT360 will go in without killing the firewall and trans tunnel.

at least it's staying IH powered! ;Sweet
Yup! But, I honestly don't want to go that route. But, there is a limit to my patience with the 6.9.

Heath

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
We need pics Heath.. Stop stalling or we are going to start asking for pics of what you do for a living. Truck pics or else.....:backoff:D

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
We need pics Heath.. Stop stalling or we are going to start asking for pics of what you do for a living. Truck pics or else.....:backoff:D

Better be careful what you ask for... I have a distinct feeling that you wouldn't want to see about 80% of what he has to deal with at work. It should probably fall under combat pay :eek:

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Better be careful what you ask for... I have a distinct feeling that you wouldn't want to see about 80% of what he has to deal with at work. It should probably fall under combat pay :eek:

:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao

Very true........... very true indeed.

Heath

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
Yeah, I know this kid who's goal in life was to become a gyno for the sights......I don't think he understands fully what a gyno does.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger