Crew Cab Build

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Picked up this 92 f350 crew cab 4x4 with an na 7.3 idi and zf5 for $775 yesterday, and got it towed to the shop here today. Here’s some pics when it first got dropped off
You must be registered for see images attach

The interior is mostly stripped, and what is leftover needs a thorough cleaning. The truck needs a carpet, door inserts, and some interior trim to get the interior complete. This truck was purchased by our 13 year old who’s gonna learn how to restore an old truck, and drive it to high school in a few years. Shes real excited to own her own IDI, and her parents are happy to see her in some old iron.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Before I picked her up from school, I power washed the truck to get all the mud off the frame, and to get the grime off the paint so I can see what we’re working with. The frame still has all the factory paint on it and no rust, and the exterior is real clean. The truck needs a front fender and door, but lacks any major dents and the bed is in perfect shape. While I was working in the shop she grabbed some cleaning supplies and work lights and gave the interior a good cleaning, and I talked her through removing the headliner. Ran out of time tonight, but I hope to continue to update the thread as we make progress on this project together

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's an amazing deal. I'm digging the bumpers and wish I had a crew cab... I like how clean the drivers rocker cover is compared to the rest of the engine bay, lol!

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Folks want $5k for that truck up here where I'm at. If you decide to go a different route, I'll be glad to give you more than double what you paid lol

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
Folks want $5k for that truck up here where I'm at. If you decide to go a different route, I'll be glad to give you more than double what you paid lol

If I had the $$$ right now I'd give you/her triple what you pd.
Good find!!!
Yeah 5-7 or so yr ago maybe I could have snagged something that cheap up here in Oregon. Now everybody thinks they are Gold Plated. Today something in this shape probably be $2500-$5000.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At the moment, the project could go a few ways due to a title in limbo that I’m trying to work out. If the title work doesn’t go through I’ll likely part the truck out so she can make some money off that to go to another truck. Between the Dana 60, immaculate bed and 4x4 zf5, she won’t have any issues getting her money out of it. When I first went out to look at the truck, I noticed it has the later model tensioner with the shock absorber. Looks like this engine is from a 94 which I’m pleased about. I’ll double check the engine serial to confirm, but happy to not have the open spring tensioner.

The truck has lift springs in the front and blocks in the back, I’d say it’s a 3-4” lift with dry rotted mismatched 35s. I plan to at least try and get the rear down, and I may rsk the front to bring that down as well.

pafixitman

Reaction score
My 93 had the closed tensioner and strut. Original motor. I was younger and dumber back then. Never knew why people were so confused about it.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 93 had the closed tensioner and strut. Original motor. I was younger and dumber back then. Never knew why people were so confused about it.
That’s odd, I’ve seen obs 92s like this truck with v belt setups, I think these obs idi trucks might just have gotten a special flavor blend of what was in the parts pile that day. Doesn’t seem to be a clean cut for when parts where phased out, I’ll be sure to check the serial to confirm if it’s the original engine

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
92 was transitional for belts. Early seems were V belts and later were SERP. I don’t know when the tensioner changed.

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know my 92 has a serp setup with the non strut tensioner, but i am not sure if it's early or late build date, I'll have to check later.

I am certain however that it was the exact same setup on my 94 Factory Turbo I had several years ago. so where in that scenario the strut tensioner fits in is what I'm curious about

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, 03/92 was the V.Belt / Serpentine Belt date. We had a 92 with a 06/92 build date and was a serpentine belt, open, no shock truck.