crashed into a pond tonight!

sootman73

Reaction score
its bad, i wrecked my truck into a small pond or (natural wetlands) in front of the local walmart. slid on a lot of black ice and went over the curb right into it. started pulling it out with two tow trucks, the chevy 6500 broke both its cables. had to have the semi come and pull it out!(ill try to get pictures and i also have a video but cant upload now) rear passenger side tire caught ice and ripped the rear axle almost off the frame. twisted shackles around and leaf springs too! front tie rods are busted and have some water damage in interior. other than that its okay. we'll see what the ins company says! maybe i'll be able to get a new truck! doubt it but oh well. ill get pics and vids uploaded as soon as possible!

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Man, what some guys wont do to go ice fishing :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao
Sorry, I couldn't resist. Glad you're OK. that must have been a heck of a ride.
Did you get it shut down before it sucked down a belly full of water?

sootman73

Reaction score
oh it wasn't that deep. top of the motor was dry once it came out. prob start right up still. ill get the vid up as quick as i can. you think it sounds bad you gotta watch it. i couldn't watch it bein pulled out. i turned around and could just hear **** breakin as it came up! probably the worst sound ever!

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I gotta tell you: wiping out on Friday night into a pond in front of the local Walmart sounds like something Jeff Foxworthy should be talking about.LOL

Although the story is entertaining, I am truly sorry to hear about the damage to your rig. The good news is maybe you'll get a new truck, or perhaps better yet, get to make some suspension mods with insurance monies if you rebuild it.;Sweet

I hope the insurance claim goes better than your rough ride into the drink.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
WOW Sounds like quite a ride, glad your ok,..

See what insurance says, they may give you money to get it fixed, Do it yourself, buy a lift kit, Dana 60, and a nice set of 37's,!

It could happen,... Good luck!

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If they don't want to foot the bill for the fix, they'll total it out and you should be able to get enough out of that and buy it back to be able to take care of the fix.

mahcire

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
i laugh only because i put a truck in my own pond once. pretty embarassing to call a tow truck to your house to pull you back into the driveway. i didn't have ice to deal with though, so i just had to suffer 45 deg water to hook up the tow cables. my guess would be that the ins will total it due to cost of repair by their figures.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Dang man! How fast were you going?
I understand some times how there is nothing else you can do but destroy something to pull or tow something after an accident, but I've seen some drivers do some really stupid stuff that just flat out pissed me off.
When we rolled our grandpas truck the tow driver said our old ford diesel was so heavy he couldnt tow it properly (he had a chevy 2500). But the real topping was when we had to roll it the last 1/4 turn back onto its tires, he was like well I dont see any good spot for me to hook into on the frame. So he walks back to his truck, I wasnt paying attention, and the next thing I know he's swinging a pick ax into the side of the box and puts a great big hole in it, hooks his hook into the side, laughs and just destroys the box pulling on it to roll it over. I mean the box was trashed, but as far as Im concerned that was perfectly good straight metal I could cut and use to repair other body panels with. It was the last straight panel on the whole truck and he just put a hole in it. OOOH I was hot after that.

sootman73

Reaction score
i woulda been pissed too! we were goin about 20 when i hit the brakes. tires locked up right away and we slid 150ft bouced over the curb and went straight down in. the axle got ripped off cuz of the tire breakin through and gettin caught against the ice when it was pulled out with a semi. it wouldnt be real tough to fix it. driveshaft broke at u joint, leaf springs twisted ubolts on axle and ripped the shackles down. dont know whats busted in the front though. def a tie rod at the least. dont know what everything is gonna cost yet.

to top it off me and the guy with me cannot step foot on a walmart or sams club property ever again. and i have to pay for the reconstruction of the wetlands and they have to inspect for any contaminants(oil, antifreeze, fuel) and then pay for the cleanup crew!

Other than that it was a good night!

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
*** man! Walmart and sams are private property. The state cant do anything about them. Or is it walmart and sams that told you you couldnt come back? Thats just screwed up. It was an accident, unless you were screwing off like one guy I saw in a walmart parking lot a few weeks back. He was out there whipping cookies and all sorts of stupid crap in his jacked up chevy. Well when he decides to get out of there, drifting sideways down the street I lost all my respect for the middle aged people of this planet. I mean, a kid I can see doing something stupid like that, its socially acceptable. But this guy was atleast 40-45 years old! Errrr, people these days.

sootman73

Reaction score
well i was havin fun smokin people out in the parkin lot. was goin real fast but still the lot looked clean and i didn't spin the tires at all in 4 so i didn't think it was slick. must not have been where i was. what ****** me off is tht there wasnt a damn guard rail to keep people from going down into the pond. there's a curb, 2ft of grass and a 8 ft drop incline at about 60 degrees. then water. if a little car woulda gone down there it would have been submerged! they're lucky im not sueing them for not adequately clearing their lot?

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I would man! Walmart has the money for it.
You shouldnt have been screwing off, but they should have had the lot cleaned (or properly salted) and there should have been a guard rail there no questions.
maybe you could bring it up with your insurance company. They are the ones that have the money to sue.

sootman73

Reaction score
ya but if ya think about it, no one ever wins against walmart. its not like i was hurting anything. i did let off the brakes and try to turn but it just went straight. nothing i could do. if the guard rail was there it def woulda stopped me. i wasn't going fast enough to crash through it.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nebraska and sootman.... you two are just too damn funny. Really, go back and re-read what you have written. :rotflmao

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle