"Crankshaft seal" vs "Rear main seal"

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quick question...

What the sam-hill is the difference between a "crankshaft seal" and a "rear main seal"? I had been under the impression that the terms were interchangeable, but I did a search on partsamerica.com for both names and came up with completely different results. The prices for the "crankshaft seal" average about $50, while the prices for the "rear main seal" average about $30.

I called Ford, and they said they wanted $61 for a rear main seal.

So, what's going on? I need to figure this out today, as if my stress level wasn't high enough... *sigh* I figure that, while I've got the flywheel off in the process of changing out hte tranny, I may as well put a new seal on...especially since mine is currently leaking (due to crankcase overpressure that's since been corrected; I think the mating surface is fine).

Thanks!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Warden, what do they call the seal on the front of the engine? I'd go with rear main seal myself, and the one from Ford comes with some extra's I've heard.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Warden said:
Quick question...

What the sam-hill is the difference between a "crankshaft seal" and a "rear main seal"? I had been under the impression that the terms were interchangeable, but I did a search on partsamerica.com for both names and came up with completely different results. The prices for the "crankshaft seal" average about $50, while the prices for the "rear main seal" average about $30.

I called Ford, and they said they wanted $61 for a rear main seal.

So, what's going on? I need to figure this out today, as if my stress level wasn't high enough... *sigh* I figure that, while I've got the flywheel off in the process of changing out hte tranny, I may as well put a new seal on...especially since mine is currently leaking (due to crankcase overpressure that's since been corrected; I think the mating surface is fine).

Thanks!
tim-
to do this job right, you will want to get the rear main seal "kit". seal and a "v" shaped gasket. Also a tube of ultra grey silicone is good for the oil pan too. Any competent local auto parts supply store should be able to the gasket kit. if you don't R&R the rear plate and change out the seal, you will ruin the seal trying to take a shortcut. BTW, the FEL-PRO kit should set you back $35-40. If you need the part put on will-call at Intex, call me. the number works out here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk