Craigslist find: 1988 F350 crew cab Diesel Dually Auto 4x4

Moretorque

Dunce
Reaction score
What is so much better about the ZF 5, I thought for pulling a Auto is better? for 4x4 a manual works better? for a work truck I myself like auto's.

Smokininmo

Reaction score
It's personal preference i guess. I just don't really like to pull my transmission out that often. And Roll starting is good to. And having a diesel with a standard trans gets you an extra punch on your man card.

Moretorque

Dunce
Reaction score
Around town driving in traffic, employee's as well. I like a standard for a personal vehicle but autos are more user friendly. A good auto is reliable, I have had more problems with a clutch going out pulling unless it is a poorly designed auto like the early E4od's were..

Smokininmo

Reaction score
I have to agree If you have multiple people driving the truck an auto is probably better especially in town. Most people that I know who can drive a standard still can't really drive a standard.............Case in point I bought a 98.5 Dodge dually diesel with a NV4500 in it a few years back for a work truck. When I got it the clutch was slipping and they thought it was bad. By the time I drove it home from Dallas it was no longer slipping and it lasted another 40,000+ miles and multiple horsepower mods before it came apart. And I pulled a loaded trailer daily. Most clutch problems are actually driver problems in my opinion.
As far as autos goI love the 5R110 auto in my 05 superduty its a great trans but everything before that was pretty much junk if you ask me. If you are pulling weight you just really cant beat a standard though. Thats why I asked what do you consider a work truck. If work for you is running around town doing deliveries you would like a auto better but if its pulling trailers full of cattle or lumber or what have you around you might think a standard is the thing. Just like saying Chevy Vs Ford............All opinion

Moretorque

Dunce
Reaction score
The IDI is a dog with an automatic trans, IMO. It feels much livelier with the ZF5.

The only reason it would be a dog is if it is short on power, even pulling around town I will take a auto. I love sticks but for stop n go driving I will take a auto.

They are much easier to drive in stop and go traffic and not get into fender benders in my opinion. On the cell phone so forth in work less to deal with.

On the more open areas then yaa, stick it is.

I heard some of the guys on this site say a worked 4100 or E4 would compete out be better than a 5100 ?

Smokininmo

Reaction score
Yeah maybe you can build a 4r100 to hold some power on the strip.............. for awhile.............but I tow ALOT and the older transmissions just dont perform like the 5R110. The electronic lockup makes everything more positive whether its in tow mode downshifting on a down grade or leaving a stop sign. The old trannys are just sloppy in comparison. Ive been a dedicated standard guy all my life but That 5r110 is a good tranny.

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
http://claz.org/classifieds/vehicles/cars?q=1988+F350&p=2 Judging by the price and appearance - it might be a good deal
In any case, when compared with other options. Plus, there are unique modifications

Holy @#&^ people are actually asking/getting that much for these trucks? I need to list my truck for sale over there (no current plans to sell it atm) I could easily triple what I paid for it (even after all the upgrades Ive made Ill still make money)

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah they are pricing them at that...........that don't mean they are getting it.......
Very true...at the same time, a DRW 4x4 SC or CC pickup wasn't available from Ford before the SuperDuties, so any one you see is an aftermarket conversion. That makes them rare, and while these guys may be asking too much, they generally sell for more than a SRW 4x4 would because of the rarity...

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
They only made cab n chassis trucks. Never sold a 4wd drw cclb

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online