could i make 400 hp out of and idi easy

Status
Not open for further replies.

pennsylvaniabo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im not here to dispute who said what. I just know that from all the threads here or on psn....the dude has pushed the "IDI" motor concept farther than anyone else. That is alone enough for me to wanna see where it ends up. I dont see anyone else building custom intake manifolds, or turbos, or pistons etc.....but he is.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NMB2 build is over on Powerstroke Nation in the IDI section for those interested.
He is getting ready to assemble his engine

I poked my head in that thread a few times to see what was there. I've seen some good and some bad.

The Good:
-Both of the Justins seem to be keeping their d!(ks in there pants for the most part.
-He seems to be more honest (but not completely) there than he was here.
-There seems some good conversation and intrest was created on these IDI's by that thread.;Sweet
-It looks like it will be a very cool build when it's done.:hail
-It's happening on PSN and not here..... it's their problem.:D

The Bad:
-The whole "poor me vs. the world"........ I did nothing wrong.... I'm an OB martyr is very annoying. :rolleyes:
-There is still too much fiction being touted as fact for my blood.
-"The Justins" throwing Mel and his Moose products under the bus when neither of them have ever owned a Moose pump or Moose Injectors is laughable. It's funny to read them talk about Moose stuff when they don't know what they are talking about.

No one said the guy was insane and knew nothing about these IDIs, but there was no excuse for acting like he did. He was banned for being an a$$hole, not because he "thought outside the box".:rotflmao

Heath

hairyboxnoogle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think in all reality alot of ppl just need to shut it and watch with some respect to being a pioneer.:mad: that goes for both psn and oilburners

but thats just my opinion

I agree, and have noticed myself that certain folks on here are rather sensitive to sand in their *******. Were not 16 year old girls. (unless of course you are, but obviously youre not whom im referring to) so lets not act like it. Its a diesel forum, if you want to dig up and add to drama, and in any otherway detract from talking and acting like a man..... ask your mommy to let you join a honda forum.

blown84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been watching and been posting about this possible 400 hp idea.... So lets just look at simple displacement... a 7.3 has around 445 cubic inches and usually makes 200 or so hp with a turbo at the rear wheels. A 454 chevy gasser makes how much rear wheel hp in nearly stock trim....:dunno The 454 has maybe a 9 to 1 cr. Our 445 has a 21 to 1 cr... See where I'm going... Why can't we make hp..... Almost the same displacement. So we have a heavier piston, crank and a rod going up and down sucking in air.... Wheres the beef.... Maybe its lost in the heads. Look closely at the precups.... All the fuel is injected into this smallish area. And it has to blow out thru a small port. I'm really not in a position to say this is our hp issue. My 454 does not turn up past about 3500 rpm either but it makes more hp than my 455 idi does. Is the problem the valves... Maybe they need to be larger or back cut so they flow more air around them....:dunno

the biggest issue ive found for these motors not makin power is that they are an interference motor; basically meanin you cant get a good power cam into em. if the valves dont close at specific point, they get a flat end full of piston. this means you cant overlap for scavengin on the intake side, and some of the hot gas gets stuck inside the cylinder on the exhaust side, meanin when the intake side opens again, theres a small plume of expanded gas to meet the cool air, restrictin its flow into it.

i want to build a bored out, sleeved down, stroker 7.3. bored and sleeved back down to 4.1", stroked to 4.36", makin it a 460, a shorter rod and low-topped, ceramic topped piston so it doesnt quite come all the way up the hole, with deep valve reliefs, and deeper valve seats and valves with slightly shorter valve stems (all JUST so it can clear a big, power makin, hydro-roller cam, that i truly believe is the cure to the weak link in these motors). the setup will be slightly decompressed to 19.5:1. of course, with all the portin and polishin (includin and effort to open up the prechambers a little more) moose injection, headers, and a custom intake to support a whipple 8.3L blower.

diesel is an extremely energy dense fuel. thats why we use it in big-rigs instead of gas. ive said it before, ill say it again: if a blown 427 LSX gasser can make 800 ft-lbs of torque right off of idle, so can my motha f*ckin IDI!

yes, im a benchracer, i admit it. and im the best of the best at it. the build i just stated is my dream on how to make a monster out of an old workhorse. chastise me if you will, but that build is not a matter of IF i build it, but WHEN i build it. fyi, the gears are in motion, and im already tryin to collect the parts ill need to get started.

85_IDI_4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i want to build a bored out, sleeved down, stroker 7.3. bored and sleeved back down to 4.1", stroked to 4.36", makin it a 460, a shorter rod and low-topped, ceramic topped piston so it doesnt quite come all the way up the hole, with deep valve reliefs, and deeper valve seats and valves with slightly shorter valve stems (all JUST so it can clear a big, power makin, hydro-roller cam, that i truly believe is the cure to the weak link in these motors). the setup will be slightly decompressed to 19.5:1. of course, with all the portin and polishin (includin and effort to open up the prechambers a little more) moose injection, headers, and a custom intake to support a whipple 8.3L blower.
.......if a blown 427 LSX gasser can make 800 ft-lbs of torque right off of idle, so can my motha f*ckin IDI!
......chastise me if you will, but that build is not a matter of IF i build it, but WHEN i build it. fyi, the gears are in motion, and im already tryin to collect the parts ill need to get started.

Well hurry up with that part collecting then lol :popcorn :popcorn

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree, and have noticed myself that certain folks on here are rather sensitive to sand in their *******. Were not 16 year old girls. (unless of course you are, but obviously youre not whom im referring to) so lets not act like it. Its a diesel forum, if you want to dig up and add to drama, and in any otherway detract from talking and acting like a man..... ask your mommy to let you join a honda forum.
this thread is done.
those of you who feel wronged here can take your cause over to PSN and beat the drum of martyrdom there. Over here, you're expected to participate in a civilized manner. there's forums that encourage a free-for-all attitudes. OB isn't one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.