could i make 400 hp out of and idi easy

Status
Not open for further replies.

jam0o0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if anyone knows where the mystery build is going on could they PM me? i'm interested in all the obviously not factory parts.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see your engine on the bench... clearly a benchracer to the definition.
wrong.
a benchracer is one who is all talk and no build. the longer the talk, the bigger the HP.

well technically would it be considered multiple user names if the other one was banned?:dunno
check out the user rules. one person, one registration. if you get shown the door, you're not welcome back even if you come in under a new name.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
stop the drama if its him fine mods will deal with it if not ok keep on topic guys
yes its possible
yes its fairly easy if you have half a mind and a good auto diesel knoledge
but most dont have both of these and the money or want pm me

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Been watching and been posting about this possible 400 hp idea.... So lets just look at simple displacement... a 7.3 has around 445 cubic inches and usually makes 200 or so hp with a turbo at the rear wheels. A 454 chevy gasser makes how much rear wheel hp in nearly stock trim....:dunno The 454 has maybe a 9 to 1 cr. Our 445 has a 21 to 1 cr... See where I'm going... Why can't we make hp..... Almost the same displacement. So we have a heavier piston, crank and a rod going up and down sucking in air.... Wheres the beef.... Maybe its lost in the heads. Look closely at the precups.... All the fuel is injected into this smallish area. And it has to blow out thru a small port. I'm really not in a position to say this is our hp issue. My 454 does not turn up past about 3500 rpm either but it makes more hp than my 455 idi does. Is the problem the valves... Maybe they need to be larger or back cut so they flow more air around them....:dunno

wmoguy

Reaction score
DPS has produced a 3 DB2/DB4 hybrids as of right now, 2 sold. They arent available just yet to everyone, but they flow 150cc. Even before one of those pumps, i think 400bhp is atainable. Low compression, lots of boost and big shot of propane ought to do it.

Yea and I've personally spoke to Ken about said pump and both times with American express in hand he told me it's not street able at all and don't do it. So unless your truck is a dyne queen or sled puller it's basically useless.

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been watching and been posting about this possible 400 hp idea.... So lets just look at simple displacement... a 7.3 has around 445 cubic inches and usually makes 200 or so hp with a turbo at the rear wheels. A 454 chevy gasser makes how much rear wheel hp in nearly stock trim....:dunno The 454 has maybe a 9 to 1 cr. Our 445 has a 21 to 1 cr... See where I'm going... Why can't we make hp..... Almost the same displacement. So we have a heavier piston, crank and a rod going up and down sucking in air.... Wheres the beef.... Maybe its lost in the heads. Look closely at the precups.... All the fuel is injected into this smallish area. And it has to blow out thru a small port. I'm really not in a position to say this is our hp issue. My 454 does not turn up past about 3500 rpm either but it makes more hp than my 455 idi does. Is the problem the valves... Maybe they need to be larger or back cut so they flow more air around them....:dunno

I've asked people who know more than me about building big power w/ IDI. I've been told by people who I believe know more than I do that the hp wall is mainly due to IDI - indirect injection. Perhaps the precup that is part of this engines design is the major inhibiting factor. DI vs IDI. To my knowledge no one has ever made or modified precups. Maybe there could be something to modified precups. If you did this I don't know what other factors you would be messing with. Is this a practical modification or would you just burn it down? Just a thought. I'm not bench racing here. I too am a part collector. I have a stock '94 IDI T, Rodney Red rad, complete ATS 093 w/ upgraded turbine outlet, down pipe, and ATS intercooler intake hat, 94-97 PSD Banks Technicooler, 94-97 PSD MBRP 4" exhaust. Still need more parts and I have lots of custom fabrication to do to make it all work together, but I wouldn't spend thousands of dollars on all this stuff without a plan for it. No hp claims though.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not following you on the head gaskets.....a set of felpros copper coated, etc. Or a top of the line head gaskets should hold with head studs?
copper coating headgaskets and copper headgaskets are two entirely different animals.
check out this link.....

http://www.headgasket.com/faq.html

these guys may be onto something with their "fire ring" idea.
copper headgaskets have been around since the earth cooled, but these guys have a new addition to an old dog.;Sweet

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
yes its possible
yes its fairly easy if you have half a mind and a good auto diesel knoledge
but most dont have both of these and the money or want pm me

i got an f2fiddy and i drive her going vroom you wanna hear about how she vrooms just pm me ill tell you stuff that you wont believe if youre a few certain members but others will get the secretes of the idi and their trucks will go vroom too someone remind me to change this later or ill forget

I REALLY need to meet this kid.
Dp

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
NMB2 build is over on Powerstroke Nation in the IDI section for those interested.
He is getting ready to assemble his engine

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
corey thanks i hate stick actually that was late when i took the pic on no sleep the night before and i realized i didnt take the slag off without the slag it aactually looks fairly good

dp who you want to meet? me?

war precups are an issue but shouldnt be hard to overcome if anyone has spares to send me pm me i dont got the space for a whole motor yet
towcat the fire ring idea seems like its cool but we gotta account for the precup being offset maybe someone should emailt hem asking about that

wmoguy

Reaction score
NMB2 build is over on Powerstroke Nation in the IDI section for those interested.
He is getting ready to assemble his engine

I noticed he's done an equally wonderful job over there of: "how to win friends and influence people" too. :rotflmao:rotflmao

pennsylvaniabo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed he's done an equally wonderful job over there of: "how to win friends and influence people" too. :rotflmao:rotflmao

I think in all reality alot of ppl just need to shut it and watch with some respect to being a pioneer.:mad: that goes for both psn and oilburners

but thats just my opinion

wmoguy

Reaction score
I think in all reality alot of ppl just need to shut it and watch with some respect to being a pioneer.:mad: that goes for both psn and oilburners

but thats just my opinion

maybe your right. we should all just shut up and let the guy continue to lie just like he did here, about his prior "build" Sorry, the dude would totally have my respect for trying to be a pioneer but when he blatantly lied multiple times about what he really was doing and had done all that respect went out the window.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online