could i make 400 hp out of and idi easy

Status
Not open for further replies.

86truckpull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im wondering if i could build my spar 7.3 to 400 hp I'm thinking of my hx35 running a scary 30psi with my dropped compression ratio and inner cooler with the hypermax intake hat, next going with dps stage 1 injectors, headstuds, copper head gaskets, ceramic coated pistons, dps injection pump, and maybe a cam and some water **** if this don't make 400 how much would it make i can build the truck like this for about 2500 give or take 500

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im wondering if i could build my spar 7.3 to 400 hp I'm thinking of my hx35 running a scary 30psi with my dropped compression ratio and inner cooler with the hypermax intake hat, next going with dps stage 1 injectors, headstuds, copper head gaskets, ceramic coated pistons, dps injection pump, and maybe a cam and some water **** if this don't make 400 how much would it make i can build the truck like this for about 2500 give or take 500

I think doing all that you would be between 300 and 400 hp but you would need a bigger turbo to support that power level but I think you would have close to the amount of fuel you need to support that. But thats just my opinion.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
400 horse out of 90cc of fuel is a stretch. Unless Ken builds you something special with more fuel output, then that will be a hard target to hit.

Heath

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a guy named roatryboots on TDS that made almost 300 hp with a PSD turbo running at 20 psi and water/methanol with a Moose Pump and DPS Stage 1s iirc. A Super Moose or whatever Ken can make would be enough I would think just as long as he had the air to go with it and if the engine held up to that boost level. Thats just my opinion though.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Porting... A cam and running drugs with a big turbo may.... Make 400 hp but its going to be at the flywheel... Not the rear tires. Its not going to be easy either. Water ****... Nitrous and some propane might get the job done. An intercooler will be a should have item too...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

i hate benchracers. build it and show us the results. you will have all the respect and admiration from everyone on this board. like the guy who showed his supercharger project in the works has my complete respect. talking a big line is easy. showing the results of hard work isn't easy but gets genuine respect. i have a rep for running off benchracers and I'm proud of it. not one has come back with repeatable results and is willing to show what they have learned from their build. there's a reason why racing is the pastime of the rich...it takes money to go fast. If you're poor...go work in a machine shop and learn the secrets of building the ultimate motor the hard way. talk is cheap, going fast takes time and money. hell....it'd be really kewl to see the tracks flooded with 6.9/7.3 idis built with $3k of parts and machine work. but reality says that if you own a P-pumped Cummins, that number is attainable and not just a pipedream.

here's your first hurdle....
copper headgaskets are a great idea. but.....how are you going to get it to seal with the precup cutting through the fire-ring area? you are going to need to o-ring the block and heads for sealing. where are you going to find a cutter hard enough to groove the precup?
cometic headgaskets are a better solution, but there's a problem there too....outside of one benchracer "claiming" he has a set of cometic headgaskets, a phone call to their sales engineering dept yielded this result...."we have no such product for the 6.9/7.3 IH idi motor" they are more than happy to design and build such a product only if the costs for r&d plus production was paid up front. the rough number was $60k:eek: I'll be honest with you...I have better things to do with my money.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I USED to be a bench racer, but now I am a parts gathering racer......soon towkitty....soon I will have an idi that will scream....hopefully it will JUST scream and not throw a temper tantrum.....that`s a lotta coin to spend to something that will fly apart on the dyno!!!! LOL

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I USED to be a bench racer, but now I am a parts gathering racer......soon towkitty....soon I will have an idi that will scream....hopefully it will JUST scream and not throw a temper tantrum.....that`s a lotta coin to spend to something that will fly apart on the dyno!!!! LOL
don't you have a cat that needs his morning massage?:eek::rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao

hairyboxnoogle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DPS has produced a 3 DB2/DB4 hybrids as of right now, 2 sold. They arent available just yet to everyone, but they flow 150cc. Even before one of those pumps, i think 400bhp is atainable. Low compression, lots of boost and big shot of propane ought to do it.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
DPS has produced a 3 DB2/DB4 hybrids as of right now, 2 sold. They arent available just yet to everyone, but they flow 150cc. Even before one of those pumps, i think 400bhp is atainable. Low compression, lots of boost and big shot of propane ought to do it.

Thats definatly neat, you got a link if you read that somewhere?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you can ever figure out if the owners of alternative fuel injection in your neck of the woods is the same people who owned a pump shop of the same name down here in the SF bay area, they can build the same for you too. He did for me back in the late 90's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wheelsrollin