could i make 400 hp out of and idi easy

Status
Not open for further replies.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HP numbers are nice to brag about but torque moves the load down the road.

3 ways to build any engine,
High comp, low boost
Mid comp, mid boost
Low comp, high boost.

What seems to be lost in the wind is that the end result is the same, CYLINDER PRESSURE.
Where you want the peak is the deciding factor.
My personal opinion is that if you cant get air in then a bucket of fuel wont make any power, my stock pump wide open,will still roll coal at 15 lbs boost climbing hills at 2200 to 2600 rpm.
My2c's

Last edited:

98CTTD

Reaction score
Hey I think I know the guy with that DB4 pump too.... pretty sure hes a bench racer.

You must be registered for see images attach

Yours truely,

Mr. Benchracer

pennsylvaniabo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i hate benchracers. build it and show us the results. you will have all the respect and admiration from everyone on this board. like the guy who showed his supercharger project in the works has my complete respect. talking a big line is easy. showing the results of hard work isn't easy but gets genuine respect. i have a rep for running off benchracers and I'm proud of it. not one has come back with repeatable results and is willing to show what they have learned from their build. there's a reason why racing is the pastime of the rich...it takes money to go fast. If you're poor...go work in a machine shop and learn the secrets of building the ultimate motor the hard way. talk is cheap, going fast takes time and money. hell....it'd be really kewl to see the tracks flooded with 6.9/7.3 idis built with $3k of parts and machine work. but reality says that if you own a P-pumped Cummins, that number is attainable and not just a pipedream.

here's your first hurdle....
copper headgaskets are a great idea. but.....how are you going to get it to seal with the precup cutting through the fire-ring area? you are going to need to o-ring the block and heads for sealing. where are you going to find a cutter hard enough to groove the precup?
cometic headgaskets are a better solution, but there's a problem there too....outside of one benchracer "claiming" he has a set of cometic headgaskets, a phone call to their sales engineering dept yielded this result...."we have no such product for the 6.9/7.3 IH idi motor" they are more than happy to design and build such a product only if the costs for r&d plus production was paid up front. the rough number was $60k:eek: I'll be honest with you...I have better things to do with my money.

I'm not following you on the head gaskets.....a set of felpros copper coated, etc. Or a top of the line head gaskets should hold with head studs?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Only one of those pics worked for me, the one of the piston.

nvm...my computer sucks.

Last edited:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not following you on the head gaskets.....a set of felpros copper coated, etc. Or a top of the line head gaskets should hold with head studs?

You will reach a point where a top quality stocker will give up.
And the coating will do nothing to help cylinder seal, the fire ring is the sole provider of that task.

That said I hit 240* for almost a mile:mad: , with studs and Corteco gaskets and so far so good.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Nice looking head work.... But how much did someone machine off. We have a limit as towhat can be milled off the head deck. I think its 4 or 5 thousands... Then the heads are past the minimum thickness.....:dunno

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Staff online

Members online