Cost for 5sp swap.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today I met a guy who has a wrecked 92ish F250 4x 7.3. Says it runs perfectly but he had an off road excursion pulling his gooseneck and essentially side swiped the right hand side on the terrain and the left hand side was hammered by the trailer when it came around on him.

At first he asked if I would sell my truck. When I said no he asked if I was interested in buying his. His asking price was a little high but that could be worked on. I was just wondering what it's cost people to do a swap on their trucks. Seeing as it's a complete truck it would have everything needed. He also said he had just put in a new clutch and flywheel right before the accident.

His asking price is the same as what he said the clutch job cost him btw.

Thanks.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The trans is probably worth $800-1200 from a dismantler and there may be a core charge involved as well. I'm sure you could part it out and recoup most if not all of your money. Then you'd also have the pedal assy, drivelines, dog house and any other little thing you would normally overlook.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
His initial comment on price was $1800. That's too high for what I consider to be a parts truck. I was thinking $1200 tops but then again I don't know what it's costing others to make the swap.

One other thing. He said he had the clutch upgraded to a 12" from 11" since he was doing alot of towing. I am a little green on the specifics of the clutch sizing on these trucks so was curious about the work involved in that. Different flywheel? If so which one etc.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
$1500 wouldn't be a bad number for a parts truck with good drivetrain and wiring. OBS interiors are also the most fragile out of all three generations. Counter with the $1200 and go up from there. Having all the pieces in one place is worth the ticket. If he did a new DMF in the clutch job the parts alone is $700 with new DMF. Don't hold out too long.
converting from 11" to 12" is no biggie. They flywheel is already drilled for the 12".

ellis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey tow cat i got injectores put in my truck brand new frome pce for 260 stage 1 and it relly helped my truck i am going to run it for a few days and see if the wmo cokes it up again but the power is like it was when i first got it
i did not relize the power i was missing by the way do you run wmo in your truck i am looking at a 87 ford f350 crew cab 7.3 is that a good year he said it had 89.000 miles but he said it might have turned over is there any problems with that year let me know

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies and input on costs/value. I may go ahead and get it but if not if anyone else is interested in it let me know. I really need my $$$ for other things currently so I am on the fence here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online

No members online now.