Coolent Temp Gauge not testing to full spike

Faeble

Reaction score
Hey guys. Thanks for all the input.

I installed the coolent temp after market electric gauge and all is well but I had a hell of a time installing the new senser that goes with the gauge and tried to use my newish universal temp senser with the wiring and the new gauge.

The gauge is reading but running around 230°
Just sitting and running regular speeds.

One person mentioned tp me that need tp use the temp senser that came with the electronic gauge so it would have the correct calibration. I will change it tomorrow.

But my question to you all is what is the correct temp for a F250 1992 7.3 idi?

Also do you all think putting the other temp senser in, wich was the original senser with the aftermarket elcrical gauge change the temp on the gauge? or are all most temp sensers the same readings?

Thanks again everyone.

Cheers!

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
~190 degrees F.
230 wont melt it down by any means but its what you would typically see if you were towing 10k up a 6% incline.

Faeble

Reaction score
~190 degrees F.
230 wont melt it down by any means but its what you would typically see if you were towing 10k up a 6% incline.

Even if it isa 1992 with over 3k? If and when i change the senser to the original after market senser and if it doesnt change what would you look for to fix next? I did a pressure test and it seemed fine. No leaks. I read on other forums that these run high in temp.
Thoughts?

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine always stays at 190-192 degrees F whether cruising around town or heavy on the pedal.
I would make sure your engine is running the stock motorcraft thermostat. Aftermarket stats can't & wont move enough water to keep these engines cool. If that checks out, I would look into the water pump, rad, & fan clutch.
Before you dig into it, please verify that your aftermarket temp gauge is in fact accurate.

fsmyth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
230 at unloaded speeds is abnormal.
and temp sensors vary a LOT. use the one that matches the gauge.

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The truck in my sig runs 180F-187F most of the time. Only past 200F when pushing up a hill or carrying a heavy load. I would definitely use the sensor that came with the gauge as calibration will vary. Before I gave up on using the stock gauge I changed the sensor twice and one would always read between the "R" and "M" while the other read between the "M" and "A" so once I saw the variance that could be had with electrical sensors I decided mechanical would be my preference for coolant temps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7