Coolant Question

MADVAN

Levittown N.Y.
Reaction score
Do you have to test SCA levels in the 24valve motor? :confused:
Is it known to have cavation in the cooling system?
Thanks this is for a 02. ;Sweet

BILL

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Don't worry about Cavitation in the Cummins - that is a problem that plagues the IH engines. Yes you should use them in the Cummins but it's not a biggie... You will find that most Cummins owners just use the normal prestone type stuff and have never heard of Cavitation and you won't find it mentioned on any tech forums concerning the Cummins engines either. So as they say down under - No worries mate.

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
prestone is just fine, unless your a stickler for oem stuff, the mopar coolant isnt very expensive either.

Turbo Tim 1

Reaction score
By the way, the Prestone stuff won't have any SCA's in it. You would have to buy some fleetgard or other comparable anti-freeze to even have that additive. I use the Zerex G-05 which is what is used in the newer Dodges, it is a HOAT (hybrid organic acid technology) anti-freeze and it does have the SCA but I have never checked it because just as was said above, it's not an issue.

Hohn

Reaction score
Background: SCA are used for cavitation issues on liner-equipped engines. The flexing of the liners causes pressure waves in the water jackets, and the partial vacuum at the trough of these pressure waves can cause cavitation.

The Cummins 5.9 is a parent-bore engine (no liners). Therefore, it has no liner flex, and no cavitation.

No need for SCAs on the CTD.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
The Ford IH engines are parent bore as well but they suffer from the big C like no ones business. Thiers stems from the fact that the walls are so thin and not supported well enough to deal with the expansion and contraction that takes place...

Tinman875

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will have a product out soon for the cooling system. It is patented and trademarked, been at it for 3 years. It will go in line in your supply heater hose line, and filter out all the junk keeping you from a plugged heater core. first one like this to market. completely cleanable with a stainless steel screen. It has 2 ball valves one on each end, to shut off the lines while cleaning it. I have 1000 coming from a manufacturer. It's called KOOL KLEAN. here is a pic. those are not the colors, just for cad separation.

Attachments

• finished design.JPG
    finished design.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 2

Mopar1973Man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been using the standard old prestone antifreeze now for over 5 years. Evertime I've flushed the system it's clean on the inside. I change my coolant every 30K miles regardless of the qouted life span of the coolant. I prefer to be safe than sorry...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online