Coolant Question

gatorman21218

Reaction score
it looks kinda purple when it mixed up lol. how often do you change it?

over the last couple years ive had many a coolant leak and therefore its been "refreshed" many times over. Ive been running an additive free coolant filter and I check it every so often with test strips and it always checks good so no reason I should change it I dont think

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
When I did my coolant and thermostat last fall, I put 4 gallons of straight coolant, 3 gallons of water and the rest was the SCA's.

This was with both block drains pulled and the whole cooling system drained.

I checked the rating with a meter...and got good well into the -45*C range....it might have went further, but the meter only went to -46*c (-50*F)

I can't remember what my SCA's were, but I bought a 1/2 gallon for something like $14 plus tax.

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
I run the CAT elc. its good for -34 below as it is. Its only $11 a gal up here and good for 300,000miles.

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Related question:

I recently swapped a 140k 7.3 into my truck to preplace my 360k 6.9. I refilled with "regular" green antifreeze and am planning on adding napa kool.

Is that OK? Regular antifreeze with added SCA?

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
I'm also running CAT ELC. The only problem I see (besides costing a little more) is availability as it isn't sold all over the place. And you'd probably want to carry extra on long road trips for that reason. Anyway good stuff--so far I like it a lot ;Sweet

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many gallons of coolant should i use ? and how much of it should be mixed with water? this being the rad and block are dry. :dunno

It will take 4 gallons of concentrated (not premixed) coolant and 4 gallons of distilled water to fill it up. I'd throw a coolant filter on there that is precharged with DCA and change it as needed. It is simpler (for me at least) than adding more liquid SCA from time to time. Plus, you keep crap outta your cooling system.

Heath