Coolant issues...

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't forget Fleet Charge (By Peak) which is found in TSC stores and Rural King.

Last edited:

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
Appreciate everyones help! Going to source some cat coolant and get it dropped in. Stupid green stuff. heh.

Seems to wreck more engines then it is worth the more I come across it (the green stuff) Currently dealing with a 01 dodge dakota that the factory specs green coolant for, but the cylinder heads are aluminum (4.7 V8) and it appears to have exhaust valves seizing. Oddly, 01 and up pt cruisers spec a different coolant that works with aluminum/cast iron components.

I wonder if a alot of the failures dealing with the 4.7/5.2 I am coming across are a result of that, amongest poor engineering. When it's cool out, the 4.7 does not set misfire codes. heats up though (temp wise during the day and then the engine) and it starts tossing the code/turning the MIL Lamp on. ugh.... *hugs my older truck* Screw this newer stuff!

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anybody running the long life diesel stuff with a copper rad? i work at a radiator shop and we wont warranty a copper rad if automotive long life coolant (dexcool or dexclones) is used in it as it eats the solder. im pretty unfamiliar with the cat elc and other diesel coolants but i believe they are similar to dexcool.

my stuff gets green with sca's added and checked with a test strip,replaced as needed.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
anybody running the long life diesel stuff with a copper rad? i work at a radiator shop and we wont warranty a copper rad if automotive long life coolant (dexcool or dexclones) is used in it as it eats the solder. im pretty unfamiliar with the cat elc and other diesel coolants but i believe they are similar to dexcool.

my stuff gets green with sca's added and checked with a test strip,replaced as needed.

When I replaced my radiator the first time five years ago was also when I switched to ELC coolant. Five years later the top tank was leaking. The new replacement is one of the aluminum/plastic units. That may be why the first replacement failed as it was still a copper/brass unit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online