Coolant is Black as OIL.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
after all of this i am really surprized you have not gotten or been reccomended to get a real oil gage to see what is going on.

i am sorry to hear about all your problems but the sun will come up tomorrow!

if you are near a large chain auto store i know around here you can rent a coolent system pressure gage and when you return it you get your money back. you can then pressurize the cooling sytem and find out if it is holding pressure over time it is sealed. if you are loosing pressure you can look around to see if you can find where is going.

the knocking you descibe worries me but it would be better to diagnose with as much info as you can before going off. foamy burning oil in the system can be a reaction to an overfill of oil.

have you drained and re-filled to confirm you have the right amount in?

Last edited:

8v-of-fury

BAMF FORD
Reaction score
well i never though to get a real gauge because i don't suppose it is lying.. adding more oil will cause the gauge to come back to center. LOL I guess I may have to go get one eh? A cheapie is better then a stock anyway you cut it. lol

Well I am not having a problem with the coolant going anywhere.. it is the oil :(
The coolant is down in the rad abit because it is a Soap and Water mixture and I am pretty sure it just boiled off or overflowed in to the res. which is now full.

i have not drained and refilled.... Im guessing if the oil is frothed it is no longer any good... No?

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was out messing around with my truck checking all the fluids and I remembered that you wanted to know the dipstick length, so I measured mine and by that I mean the one in the truck and it was 29 3/4" from the tip to the bottom of the yellow handle. If you read my signature my truck is a 1990 and the engine is a late 1990 early 1991.

Oh and with exactly 10 qts my oil line is in the very center of the crosshatch when warm.

subway

Reaction score
the stock gages in the dash are more of an indicator than a real gage. numbers with even a cheepy real gage are better.

oil frothing can be from overfilling or contamination of coolant. coolant is bad news for motor bearings. thats why i would pressure test the system, if it holds pressure you can strike it off your list of problems. just trying to systematically work through it.

finding out exactly how much oil is in there and what shape it is in is another key.

8v-of-fury

BAMF FORD
Reaction score
so I measured mine and by that I mean the one in the truck

:sly:sly:sly

Ok i just went out and checked mine.. and it was like 31" tip to bottom of yellow handle.. 34-35 total length.

Well I did put in like 15 litres of oil total.. and if it is not getting in the rad it must be burning it. It has lost enough oil to start a bad knocking.. meaning there would be some sever evidence in the rad if that was the case.. I don't have a day off till next monday... So i will not be able to get to any parts and get that... unless Crap Tire has them. I bought more oil.. Because im pretty sure that what i drain will be little.. I will drain it tomorrow after work, and report back how much comes out.

Is it possible it could be burning this much oil? if the CDR was right wrecked and the engine is badly worn (lots of blow-by)? I mean it has 700k (or like 435k for you yank's LOL) I drained a little from the rad and it was watery, soapy smelling, and blueish in colour.. I don't think the rad is a problem.. Judging by the explosion when i opened the cap (it being pure water with soap) it holds its pressure LOL I'll drain.the rad tomorrow as well and take some pictures of what i find :)

thanks a lot guys. You have really given me a lot of help, and without it i wouldn't have gotten anywhere...People ask me, how are you doing the work? do you know how? do you have a manual? and I answer.. No, I have great help from some good guys on the introweb :) Really guys, thanks a WHOLE BUNCH:thumbsup:

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would not think that the CDR would drink that much oil so fast but I have seen/heard of crazier things happening. I have heard of people who would loose a few quarts over an oil change because of a dirty CDR but I would think it would be tough for it to drink 7-8 liters in just the short amount of time you have ran it, I mean you should still be able to see oil on the dipstick down to even 7 or 8 quarts and you have put in almost 16 quarts (15 litres=15.85 quarts) in there.

Last edited:

subway

Reaction score
if it is a head gasket leaking it will pressurize the system even more when running.....which if you have a gage to watch the coolant pressure and it jumps up fast its a problem.

wish you were closer, its much easier to check things first hand when it gets serous.

i forget if it was covered earlier but the CDR is underneath the rear of the aircleaner.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If there was crazy sluge buildup in the engine, it might cause an oil drainback problem and cause the oil to collect at the top of the engine. Add to that the effect of blow by gasses that have to get out somewhere, and I can see oil getting spurted into the intake. I delt with an engine (4 popper diesel) that had a drainback problem and the thing would drink about 1L over the course of a single 30 second runaway event. The quick spooling turbocharger made it easy for the engine to swallow it all even if it couldn't properly chew. That engine had issues.cookoo

Wait, could something in the upper valve train have popped loose and cause oil to be pumped to the top of the engine in larger volumes than normal? This would also cause the low oil pressure symptom and maybe even the knock:confused:

Sound like a possibility?

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score
Oil turns a white color when it is whipped, or frothed up.

I think the dip stick is not the right length, and you over filled the engine.

dont be offended by this but did you check the oil on level ground? I noticed the driveway in the picture has a slope to it.:dunno

8v-of-fury

BAMF FORD
Reaction score
I would not think that the CDR would drink that much oil so fast but I have seen/heard of crazier things happening. I have heard of people who would loose a few quarts over an oil change because of a dirty CDR but I would think it would be tough for it to drink 7-8 liters in just the short amount of time you have ran it, I mean you should still be able to see oil on the dipstick down to even 7 or 8 quarts and you have put in almost 16 quarts (15 litres=15.85 quarts) in there.

This is true.. but if i put in to much oil to begin with, then it would have all gotten frothed.. and been lighter and possibly easily sucked up by the (im sure never serviced) CDR?? I'm pretty sure what all came out the first time was less then 10 qts.. I mean my pan is.. hmm.. like 12 qts maybe? and it wasn't close to full IIRC. Maybe it has had this problem all along i have just stirred it up and made it worse? If the engine is old and worn and has quite a bit of blow-by, with a stuck open CDR, and restrictive stock air box.. Wouldn't it make sense to want to get the air from the easiest place? The Crank Case.. where it is being made by the boat load and willingly pumped back in to the cylinders.. laced with a ton of oil.. sounds like a suspect at least..

if it is a head gasket leaking it will pressurize the system even more when running.....which if you have a gage to watch the coolant pressure and it jumps up fast its a problem.

wish you were closer, its much easier to check things first hand when it gets serous.

i forget if it was covered earlier but the CDR is underneath the rear of the aircleaner.

Yes, HG's are not good.. well when i had it out the temperature gauge never went above 1/3 on the dial, and i was running it rather hard to make sure everything was holding up. which it was at the time.. until it started to knock and tick.. when it exploded everywhere when i opened the cap.. i am certain the pressure was because i was boiling water in the rad.. (a pure water soap mixture to clean the oil out) and that's where the pressure cam from.. but im not adding Freeze yet until i know it won't be wasted you know?

If there was crazy sluge buildup in the engine, it might cause an oil drainback problem and cause the oil to collect at the top of the engine. Add to that the effect of blow by gasses that have to get out somewhere, and I can see oil getting spurted into the intake. I delt with an engine (4 popper diesel) that had a drainback problem and the thing would drink about 1L over the course of a single 30 second runaway event. The quick spooling turbocharger made it easy for the engine to swallow it all even if it couldn't properly chew. That engine had issues.

Wait, could something in the upper valve train have popped loose and cause oil to be pumped to the top of the engine in larger volumes than normal? This would also cause the low oil pressure symptom and maybe even the knock

Sound like a possibility?

I'm pretty sure the engine has a large amount of Blow-by, it puffs out of the dipstick while running pretty good. I don't know about spurted.. i think more like drowned.. lol I felt as much as i could of the front intake runners as well.. and they had a good wetness to them too IIRC. The sludge and drain back could be a problem, but it would have to be new.. this engine never had a tick or knock of any sort before, but it is still a possibility.. What in the top end could come loose and still run fine? and also be the culprit to pump a lot of oil to the top? also a possibility..

p.s I have my own Diesel 4 popper as well ;p awaiting my VW

You must be registered for see images attach

Oil turns a white color when it is whipped, or frothed up.

I think the dip stick is not the right length, and you over filled the engine.

dont be offended by this but did you check the oil on level ground? I noticed the driveway in the picture has a slope to it.

No offense taken man, I have checked it slanted forwards, backwards, sideways, and flat.. Never got a reading on the stick. I hope it is just from being over filled and whipped to crap.. rather then HG's.. as that will surely be the end of this truck :( Does anyone know lengths of the dipsticks for sure and what is supposed to be in an 87 6.9?

I am determined! lol I will FIX this! LOL Ok guys im off to the outdoors to drain the coolant and oil and tell you how much oil comes out :) and what it looks like and all that good stuff. ;p

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't be there to hear the truck, but my engine always had a tick to it that gets more noticable when hot. A few weeks after I bought it I first noticed it. Replaced all the injectors, still there...

Rebuilt the engine a couple years later and its still there so I'm not gonna worry about it anymore. The only thing I didn't replace was the lifters, but they were still in decent shape.

That 4 popper reminds me of the mitsubishi 2.3L diesel in my sister's ranger. That one is turbocharged and has silent shafts to make it run a little smoother at idle, but the fuel system is the same and it also uses a single OHC.

What can I say, I'm a sucker for diesels of all shapes and sizes. Exept that POS mercedes smartfor2, I hate the way they get stuck in my tire treads. Very annoying.

8v-of-fury

BAMF FORD
Reaction score
Uh oh guys.. big problems..

Not only did very little come out of the pan it was mostly water..............

And alot came out of the rad! but it was mostly oil!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE RAD CONTENTS WERE THICKER THEN THE OIL PAN.....:mad:

What have i done? I can pretty much guarantee that knocking is there for good cant i? Worn in to the bearings.. and such.. damnit..

this one doesn't look to good, i don't think she is going to make it :(

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At this point the best bet is to probably try and find a replacement engine to put in there. You can find them fairly cheap around here, occasionally around the $200 mark. It sounds like the bearings are probably shot and the crank would surely need to be ground. With 435,000 miles it would probably do it good to have a total rebuild. If you can find you a cheap swap in motor for the meantime you could tear that one down and see if it is worth rebuilding, at least it is a 6.9L and it can take a good amount of boring. Typically once they start knocking from water in the crankcase there is some pretty good damage done, I would imagine even if you did get it to quit knocking using really heavy oil and STP oil slime in there, it would have low oil pressure when warm.

I hate to sound negative but it doesn't sound good at all. I still can't believe that that much oil is just gone. You would think there would still be some of it in the crankcase. I know you said there is some in the coolant but still.

subway

Reaction score
you might be able to find another oil cooler and swap it in but wether your your bearings are going to last is a toss up.

i am sorry to hear the bad news.

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score
wow! the oil and the water completely swapped places!

i have to eat my words, the white stuff WAS water in the oil.

yea, I to am sorry to hear the bad news.