Coolant is Black as OIL.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One other thing to consider. If the ends are corroded badly on the taper (you will see it) it will tear the o'rings going back together. Smooth them up with a file, carefully not to extend the taper to far in.

Use lots of petroleum jelly on the o'rings and ends when going back together. If useing a clamp like I did be sure and keep the ends straight when squeezing back together.

8v-of-fury

BAMF FORD
Reaction score
I gotta question for ya'll, it goes a lil sumfin like dis!

I have no idea what song that is from.. but it came to mind.. lmao

When I do this, which looks like it will be this Saturday or Sunday.. what kinda of oil, coolant, and filter should i put back in it?

clatternfool

Reaction score
we use castol hypron 15w-40 its semi synthetic and has a great track record as far as filters ballwins a great name but if you are buying filters pay a little more and they all end up the same the have requriments they have to meet so it becomes a name game

8v-of-fury

BAMF FORD
Reaction score
ok so 15-40 is good for 0-30 Celsius? how much will i need to fill it up?

also what filter is best bang for buck? where quantity and quality balance out?

8v-of-fury

BAMF FORD
Reaction score
went to local parts store.. I can get the gaskets for around $9 but they dont carry the o rings.. Went to ford on my lunch break as well... $19 and change EACH RING!! Totalt came to like 87 with tax! I was like HELL NO i am not paying that... i will find them else where. Trying to screw with me or what??

8v-of-fury

BAMF FORD
Reaction score
yeah i know! I dont have any IH around me though i dont think.. i will have to check.. but 19 a ring? gotta be kidding me..

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard somebody float the idea of getting standard orings of identical size to fit on these oil coolers. Anybody brave(or crazy) enough to try it? That should work fine if they were exactly the same size, can take up to around 230*F and are chemical resistant. Wonder if Caterpillar Orings sold by trade size are up to the task.

8v-of-fury

BAMF FORD
Reaction score
My only day off other than today is Sunday for this week, so it all has to be done then. LOL Its my gf's moms... i just do the work and mess around with it.. which i have no problems doing lol i will check NAPA today see if they cant get the rings..

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Old Bull those orings are for a 94-03 it says, are the oild cooler orings the same on the IDI and the PSD 7.3? I had heard that before but never confirmed or disproved.

8v-of-fury

BAMF FORD
Reaction score
well guys... Im in over my head on this one..

Should never have attempted it :(

it pukes oil like crazy! I can't get it to seal. I think it is leaking in between the two ends and the tube.. on both ends.. this sucks.... no seal. ****

Last edited: