Coolant Filter

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
I been thinking about outfitting my new motor with a coolant filter, Id like to mount it on the wheel well probably anyone done it like this before, anyone have a list of parts that will be needed on this setup or another type?

gatorman21218

Reaction score
Go to napa and ask for part number 4019. .thats the base for the filter. The filter w/o any sca added is 4070. Youll need a whole bunch of pipe fitings if you plan to do it as a bypass set up. I think the sky is the limit for mounting it but i think the easiest place is by the fuel filter. Take a piece of angle iron or flat stock and extend it off the fuel filter base. Look in the tech section and youll see a good write up of how to do it. I deviated from that a little and can take pictures if you want of my setup and give you a parts list. How are you planning on mounting the filter head to the wheel well? Thats the only concern i have with your idea.

As for the fittings the inlet/outlet of the base is 3/8 npt. I used a bushing to 1/2 because thats a more common size and the 5/8 hose barb i could only find with 1/2 npt thread. The heater hose is 5/8 ID. I would recomend using ball valves to isolate the filter to make for easy filter changes. Youll need some elbows and nipples and tees, but the quantity all depends on where its mounted and where the heater hoses run. Like with any plumbing project you will need to make at least 3 trips to the hardware store. Just let me know if you like my setup and i can give you the full rundown. You might as well buy new heater hose too get a 12 foot length of it and that should give you enough.

Also its your call whether to use brass or black iron. I personally would use brass- it dont rust- but plan on paying 50 to 75 bucks for all the fittings.

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
This is what I just did today... its with a 5.9 so it is not quite the same as you are after but at least it gives you an idea. I chose to have valves to cutoff the heater core as well as the filter... the filter for servicing and the heater core for better A/C. I also added a bypass for when the core is cutoff.

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online