Coolant change, leftover water?

tmills213

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have searched and searched and finally did my fluid flush today. I ended up using
zerex green original
You must be registered for see images attach
and motorcraft vc8 additive.

steps were:

1- drain, pulled driver side plug, not pass (no good reason). roughly 5 gallons (one catch tray full) from the radiator and maybe 1/2-1 gallon from the plug?
2- filled with 6ish gallons of distilled ran around the block until the needle was almost to the N in normal. That is usual for around town.
3-repeat #1
4- filled again with anothe 5.5-6gal, ran until hot.
5-repeated #1
6- poured 4 gal (4 containers) of concentrate
7- got just over one gallon of water in and was full.
8- I added the remaining gallon into the overflow. So i am left with 2 gallons of fresh water that I thought I was going to need.

Is there really that much residual in the passenger plug, hose, etc??

Also, do the pictures of the tubes look like some sort of radiator stop leak crust?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That white stuff is what we call "hard water" over here. It's limestone mainly, that is dissolved in the water, and then settles out when it's run in the engine, boiled in your coffee pot, clogs up your house water heater, etc. That's why it's best not to use well water, and even the water some towns around here use from the reservoirs and rivers has some limestone in it. It's best to go to the grocery store and get distilled water.

Your radiator doesn't look too bad, usually they are totally plugged.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Why did you flush with distilled water and not some type of block cleaner? We can flush and use block cleaner with any type of water. Actually cheaper the better. Then flush by removing BOTH side block drains and run clean tap or well water to flush. Even if it takes driving a few days with tap water no harm will happen. So drain the flush water and refill with coolant and either distilled or purified water. Reason I mentioned purified water is I learned something bout distilled water "demanding" more from the aluminum and cast iron that the purified does not. So far my distilled water and coolant has not caused any issues in 8 years of use.
Yes you can have that much mineral drop out in the block and your radiator still has plenty of minerals deposited on the tubes.

tmills213

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why did you flush with distilled water and not some type of block cleaner? We can flush and use block cleaner with any type of water. Actually cheaper the better. Then flush by removing BOTH side block drains and run clean tap or well water to flush. Even if it takes driving a few days with tap water no harm will happen. So drain the flush water and refill with coolant and either distilled or purified water. Reason I mentioned purified water is I learned something bout distilled water "demanding" more from the aluminum and cast iron that the purified does not. So far my distilled water and coolant has not caused any issues in 8 years of use.
Yes you can have that much mineral drop out in the block and your radiator still has plenty of minerals deposited on the tubes.

No particular reason. I just didn't see much talk about any cleaners in the sea of posts I went through. Didn't think I could go wrong with flushing with straight clean water than another chemical.

Franklin,
I guess I didn't even think about hard water buildup, makes alot of sense. I jumped straight to bars leak or something.

The last drain was pretty darn clear so I guess I can consider the mixture to be close with the residual water. I could always get a tester right.

tmills213

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lots of fallout

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want to test the radiator this is how a radiator guy told me how to do it.

Drain the coolant of course, and take the lower radiator hose off.

Fill the radiator with water while you hold the palm of your hand over the lower outlet to plug it(this may take two people).

When the radiator is full, quickly pull your hand away from the lower outlet.

He said the water should flow out full force, using the complete lower outlet for flow. If it gulps and is not flowing full volume out of the lower port, then the radiator is partially clogged.

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If you want to test the radiator this is how a radiator guy told me how to do it.

Drain the coolant of course, and take the lower radiator hose off.

Fill the radiator with water while you hold the palm of your hand over the lower outlet to plug it(this may take two people).

When the radiator is full, quickly pull your hand away from the lower outlet.

He said the water should flow out full force, using the complete lower outlet for flow. If it gulps and is not flowing full volume of the lower port, then the radiator is partially clogged.

Does the cap need to be on or off???

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Staff online