Considering a MOOSE Pump for my brown truck, am I crazy?

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine seems to max out at 1000, but I rarely go past 900 even when flooring it up a 5-10% grade. I have never been able to hit 1200 so far.

Most common full power situation for me is 2500+ RPM, 10 psi boost and ~850 EGTs.

fsr7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most of my driving is at elevations of 9000+ ft, on grades that are as steep or more than your oregon backroads... but the hills out here last for many more miles LOL I love driving diesels, but you can't keep the speed limit up to my house in an idi unless you bend the egt rules - and I still haven't found a mod that makes the environment have more air -cuss

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The high altitude is likely the difference then. Here at sea level, its awfully hard for me to hit 700*F egt. Mind you this truck has had very little turning up the fuel for a turbo rig and I rarely tow or haul with it. I've been waiting to see how it would perform with my boat back there before going crazy with more fuel. I have yet to hear one bad thing about a Moose Pump other than the high cost, but you are paying for a product that performs as advertised and helping a fellow BOOB out. I would have put a Moose or similar pump on my truck last year but the money for a Moose was not in the budget and I didn't really trust Ken to get me a DPS pump in a timely manner so its a stock 7.3 pump for now and I have yet to even max it out.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
now sure, I drive like a freaking maniac with one pedal always one the floor, and my truck is majorly overfueled..........

I get 11-12 mpg with a burned up c6 and converter running a constant 3200rpms with a moose pump.

I'll let you know in a few more months when i swap in a zf5 how mpg turns out, I should try driving like a human for a bit after that to get a reasonable estimate of mpg changes.

drew

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as MPG is concerned, it doesn't matter who's pump you have on there. RPM's over 2000 will kill MPG any day.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
What do you guys think about an ebay intercooler such as this one?

I know of quite a few tuner friends that have used these ebay IC's without a problem holding as much boost as 65lbs.

I found a few PSD ones from 01's but they want $300 for the IC and another $100 for the piping.
Plus I dont like having to cut holes in the radiator support, I'd rather route the piping around it. Because I have an 83 truck and as most will know the 83's used a wider radiator than the later trucks. It'd be difficult for me to utilize the short route style of the PSD IC.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the kind I'm considering. Would like to see 800 CFM though.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
I hear ya mel, thats why the zf is in the barn. An overdrive will be a nice improvement. Plus my converter looses like 500rpms !!!
just got too many project ahead of it.

I like your pump alot. I wouldn't care even if it did burn more fuel (which it doesn't).

All these people fighting over oil, I've made it my mission to burn it all up so they have nothing left to fight over.
Drew

tractorman86

Reaction score
What do you guys think about an ebay intercooler such as this one?

I know of quite a few tuner friends that have used these ebay IC's without a problem holding as much boost as 65lbs.

I found a few PSD ones from 01's but they want $300 for the IC and another $100 for the piping.
Plus I dont like having to cut holes in the radiator support, I'd rather route the piping around it. Because I have an 83 truck and as most will know the 83's used a wider radiator than the later trucks. It'd be difficult for me to utilize the short route style of the PSD IC.

you might be on to something!! for the price i think go for it, but like mel said does it flow enough CFM for a 7.3?

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Well it's darn darn close to the same size as a PSD IC, its a little narrower and like an inch shorter, but its also an inch thicker throughout the entire core, so I'd think it'd cool as much as a factory PSD cooler would.
Im actually looking into a kit that would come with a bunch of couplers, clamps, and piping that could be custom cut to fit. Not sure if its enough piping but its atleast a start.
I just dont know if I have enough money for this venture. Still working out the budget.

jkeller3

Reaction score
I got my intercooler from Banks. It was a takeoff from someone who wanted to upgrade their PSD cooler. Cost about $100, another 10 or so for pipes. Don't buy the pipes though. They don't work on our trucks. I got a 3" kit on Ebay for about 100 also. It included couplers and assorted lengths and curves also. Cut and coupled them together to work great. I needed to get another couple of couplers that were not included in the kit, had them laying around.

The intercooler install took about 10 hours and was, after the turbo, the best mod done so far. Keeps the egt's below 1100 even towing 8000 fiver. I can run whatever speed I want now on the freeway and will hold o/d. Love it. Would I do it again? In a heartbeat.

John

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
Well it's darn darn close to the same size as a PSD IC, its a little narrower and like an inch shorter, but its also an inch thicker throughout the entire core, so I'd think it'd cool as much as a factory PSD cooler would.
Im actually looking into a kit that would come with a bunch of couplers, clamps, and piping that could be custom cut to fit. Not sure if its enough piping but its atleast a start.
I just dont know if I have enough money for this venture. Still working out the budget.

thats a great find

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I hope someone else is willing to be the guinea pig for that IC project, because I dont see anyway possible that I'll be able to afford doing it. I want to do the IC and Moose pump at the same time, and I just cant pull it off before the winter hits and with it slower work, and less pay. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online