condensation or water?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brian I made up block off plates for every coolant area of these idi engines. Your welcome to use them if you can wait for shipping. I even made head plates that look just like a head gasket.. But they are 1/2 inch thick aluminum with rubber gaskets on them. You bolt them to the block and can see down into the cylinders for leaks.

Gary, I just may do that!
I can make the oil cooler ones easy enough, but if I have to dig deeper, I will take you up on your offer.
thanks bud! ;Sweet

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oil cooler plates made and installed....
still leaking water.
this calls for a tear down.
engine will be out tomorrow.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll bet you are pissed to have to do all of this AGAIN just to find the leak... :(

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
eah, it is what it is. I just hope its a headgasket.

I will now pressurize the coolant system before I install any engine.

@riotwarrior whos got those MLS IDI gaskets???

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man first Rob, now you. I'm really concerned about the engine I'm rebuilding/having rebuilt. I may install the heads myself now. Did you use copper spray? Just curious. That really sucks did your cooling system for your test stand not hold pressure?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't test the cooling system on the stand, something I will do from now on.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
eah, it is what it is. I just hope its a headgasket.

I will now pressurize the coolant system before I install any engine.

@riotwarrior whos got those MLS IDI gaskets???

Here is link to thread... http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1393005-performance-head-gaskets.html ..Ron Butts and I on FB where discussing the coolant passages...and how not encapsulated...I feel there is room for some rNd there...bead silicone etc....
Romel77 on FTE is the fella 300 bucks for a set. PM him...but be warned you need spscial pushrods....for the decomp set...maybe not for thin set....

You might be able to mill rocker stands 0.030" depending on how and where your roller tips contact valves...this would do similar as longer pushrod...but with std rockers it may have a very negative effect on VT geometry and that would not be good for our already sucky VT issues.

Just saying...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Brian if a precup is half a thousands too high it can create a head gasket leak of coolant. On another site some years back a new rebuild had coolant leaking up out of a head bolt hole. Turns out a precup was a little too proud of the head. So the precup took the torque value and not the head surface. Made for a nice leaker. They need to be either 2.5 high or 2.5 low in the heads. Nothing different from that. Any good machinist can make a 5 thousands tolerance easily.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a good .200" + adjustment on my rockers.

Based on my personal exp....I highly doubt this...I could very well be wrong Brian....but something tells me that woukd put your VT geometry waaaaaaaaay outta wack.

Get some Prussian Blue or gear marking compound and show me the money ....of what you mean.

Maybe as an old school guy I am talkin out me **** again..

JM7.3CW Eh!

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use bearing grease to check VTG
remember Al, I have roller rockers and custom pushrods

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The last cam I ran on an ls1 engine was . 651" lift. They have to grind the cams on a smaller base circle to get the extra lift and still slide through the cam bearings so you usually have to run longer pushrods. I always checked wipe pattern to make sure I had the right length pushrod. The stock rockers are non adjustable. It's amazing how much 0.010" can make in the wipe pattern